Thread: Theme: great blue heron on river dyke

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: great blue heron on river dyke

Name:  grey water heron.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  200.5 KBThese guys make such lovely subjects for portraits that I couldn't resist another one. Canon 5D IV, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II, ISO 640, f/8, 1/800, Enduro tripod

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the plumage detail, and the perfect head angle. I do find the image dark overall, and I would have like to have seen the heron a bit higher in the frame. It's nice when an adult GBH cooperates like this!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Daniel and thanks for the comment . I don't know why but this image display is a bit truncated from the way I intended the post, as you can see if you look at the thumbnail, which shows the full image. I've tried it again in this reply and the same thing happens. It's interesting to me that you see the image as dark....I know I tend in post to push the intensity of my colours and contrast and light. I'm not sure if this is just an area of taste or "artistic expression" or style but I know I have to be careful not to overdo it and in fact after an initial processing I often go back and tone my first efforts down a bit..... .
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 04-15-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Daniel about the image being dark overall. The thumbnail looks dark as well. Nice portrait here though like the composition and the detail on the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess I'm one of those guys who have to be hit on the head twice...how's this....and I resized it and got the whole image in.Name:  grey water heron lite.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  199.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely portrait with perfect HA. Repost helps; it appears you did brighten it up a bit, as was needed IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details and the bird looks super cool against that background. Repost is better for sure but I think you could take it further and brighten it up a bit more and also warm it up a little.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks fellows. I tried your warming suggestion Isaac and , while I like the blue hue of the OP, bringing it from a temperature of 5050 to 5800 gave it a nice grey effect. Going beyond that it started to turn yellowish. ATTACH=CONFIG]175310[/ATTACH]

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks better Bob. Minor change but has a big impact.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm glad you pointed that out Isaac....I really appreciate the help I've received with this image in appreciating the significance and importance of subtle changes in exposure and temperature and in experimenting with settings a bit rather than sticking with first outcomes.