Thread: Bobble Brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Bobble Brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Individual hare ID is something I find difficult. The raised bump on the nose of this animal gives her her name and that ID. Bobble is I think female,she is big and also impressive. She stands(I'm pretty sure she is she) apart from many in this population because she is really red/orange. I've struggled a bit trying to get this right in an image,she looks slightly unusual in the real world so if her colours seen slightly off ,please bare this in mind.

A fairly simple stalk a male guarding her became 3 number, so at one stage I was surrounded, it was pretty cool. The boxing that oh so nearly happened didn't,mind it doesn't help if the protagonists start to come to me rather than doing the important stuff

Sadly shot against another cloud of death rather than the sunset I hoped for,jeepers it's been dull and grey here for so long now,so techs are being squeezed a bit. i'd have preferred more dof for this mind my thoughts weren't really based on close up frame fillers
    Thanks for all the thought provoking comments to my previous images,sorry I can't be here more.
    Canon 1 Div 400DO is ii 1.4 ext iii 1/1250 f5.6 iso 5000 shot against the light no crop

Processed in DPP 4 WB gamma colour then selective work in ps NR curves darkened frg, sharpened

Thanks for everything folks my humble apologies for not being about so much of late

take care alll

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ay up Stu,

Things are coming along really nicely for you now - as soon as the golden light hits us I'm sure you'll be knocking out keepers left right and centre.

Great fieldcraft as ever, the low but clear view is nigh on perfect. Getting the light behind will help you, but I know that may go against some of the fieldcraft if the wind isn't right.

Maybe 2 little tweaks may help, I did a bit of gardening and lost the 2 annoying bits of debris on the right, then dodged the face slightly to add a little more brightness. Both fairly easy techniques to add to your PS armoury, let me know if you need a bit more help -

Name:  _70F7704Bobble-L-RP.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  579.7 KB

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Ay up Stu,

Things are coming along really nicely for you now - as soon as the golden light hits us I'm sure you'll be knocking out keepers left right and centre.

Great fieldcraft as ever, the low but clear view is nigh on perfect. Getting the light behind will help you, but I know that may go against some of the fieldcraft if the wind isn't right.

Maybe 2 little tweaks may help, I did a bit of gardening and lost the 2 annoying bits of debris on the right, then dodged the face slightly to add a little more brightness. Both fairly easy techniques to add to your PS armoury, let me know if you need a bit more help -

Name:  _70F7704Bobble-L-RP.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  579.7 KB

Mike
    Hey mate how ya doing?
    I thought some might pick up on the bits you have cloned Mike, but the brightening of the face is something that didn't occur to me at all. These little nuances really help,thank you. I'll probably be ok with these two tweaks Mike,as i'm using the burn tool quite oft now,dodging should be fairly straight forwards and I can also refer to the previous help with cloning,from your good self.

Yeah wind was forcing my hand at first(mind i'd actively quest for back lit at this time of day ) hence the into the light approach,but if I get the FC right and things settle i'm coming to the conclusion that they don't care that much what i smell like,as I say they were all around me at one stage. Mike my outer layer has some scent blocker,in it. whether that is helping me I don't know,but I'm nailing the stalks more and more now ,if I have time.

Mike I suspect it is all as simple as this,if the hare runs away,the approach was too fast.... it's hard analysing this side of things but it's crucial to what I do,so my approach is constantly being pondered and evaluated.

many thanks buddy

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Great low pov again and I like the coming at you pose. I would prefer a bit more room below. Mike's opening up of the face has taken this up a notch. Whether and how much to clone is a personal choice.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well exposed and a super low angle action shot. The head is well detailed and sharp, good shot Stu.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel thank you,interesting your note on framing. I'm actually fairly happy Rachel,which i must say is an extremely rare thing for me to say. I find them so hard to track and frame off my elbows,the head goes up and down so much,not withstanding the need to flip the camera so quickly at times,I get caught out often. My main concerns is those big ol ears getting too close to the top if I'd of allowed more room below.A fair comment though ,i'm glad you made it,thank you !!

Cheers Jon,I do love these encounters,

take care both

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Mate, I think you really nailed this one - top shot

Love it, viewing on a little laptop that is not calibrated so not 100% sure of colours - they do look good to me, just check for a slight magenta cast on the Bobble Brown's back?

Superb pose and POV is just great, I also like the HA and expression. Since you have such a neat FG it would be really easy to add some canvas at the bottom... you decide

I think I must switch off my computer now, afraid your lovely Bobble jumps on my keyboard Take care Stu, keep up the good work, I am off to the wilderness for a few days, back soon

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Congratulations Mate, I think you really nailed this one - top shot

Love it, viewing on a little laptop that is not calibrated so not 100% sure of colours - they do look good to me, just check for a slight magenta cast on the Bobble Brown's back?

Superb pose and POV is just great, I also like the HA and expression. Since you have such a neat FG it would be really easy to add some canvas at the bottom... you decide

I think I must switch off my computer now, afraid your lovely Bobble jumps on my keyboard Take care Stu, keep up the good work, I am off to the wilderness for a few days, back soon

Kind regards,
    Hey Gabriela ,
    frankly I could do with a bit of wilderness, we haven't had holidays for years, we have tried for a monster one night away twice this year both cancelled by illness Sooooo, hopefully withing a couple of weeks third time lucky. i want to make images of some humbugs Gabby,baby wild boar,here's hoping!

you have the best time I can't wait to hear and see whom you catch up with,all the luck if there is something a bit special you are hoping to see.

Back to Bobble

She's lovely isn't she,i'll look at the magenta,she presented me with a few problems,because she is so different colour wise, to the others at this spot,so you may well be on to something. During the week I'm a hollow shell,I just can't remember what I did colour wise,just I spent alot of time trying to get it right

One hare that could easily be mistaken for one of our red foxes,leastways at a glance she's got that foxy red/orange,if that gives a base for her colour more for you. Gabriela these hares are big,Jon or Steve might be able to relate size to what you have in Africa,Bobble is big for the hares we see in the wolds, she's quite something. It's really quite lovely being sure of her,it's galling for me not being happy with my identification, of an individual. We spend so much time with them of trying,the naturalist in me needs to work out ID.

I've got a tiny person for you Gabriela,not a hare,someone else,i'll try and get it edited for when you come back.
    Again have the most wonderful break,I know you have had alot to do, it's good to have some space to breath and be with mum nature,food for the soul !! I need my solitude,ok with my special lady,it will refresh you .........and selfishly, We'll get to share something stunning ,i'd lay a bet

I wondered if the IQ of the image was good enough,before posting. it's sort of lovely you feel her on the keyboard, it's the dof isn't it ? But honestly I wondered,it was my primary reason for posting her,beside me being me

have fun kiddo

stu

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, personally I like the OP, the light is flat/overcast and so there isn't any main light really hitting the subject, so all is even - dull. For me the RP's are to 'Contrasty' and the light to me looks wrong as you only adjusted one part of the subject. I would go to a native 6400 for a hint more SS, these guys move and I'm not sure 1/1250 is freezing the subject enough. I would dial in 1/2500 and let the ISO be whatever it needs to be and address anything in PS. I very much like the HA, slight turn to camera.

Would evict the stick and blend the light streak, that's all.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, personally I like the OP, the light is flat/overcast and so there isn't any main light really hitting the subject, so all is even - dull. For me the RP's are to 'Contrasty' and the light to me looks wrong as you only adjusted one part of the subject. I would go to a native 6400 for a hint more SS, these guys move and I'm not sure 1/1250 is freezing the subject enough. I would dial in 1/2500 and let the ISO be whatever it needs to be and address anything in PS. I very much like the HA, slight turn to camera.

Would evict the stick and blend the light streak, that's all.

TFS
    Steve

Hi Steve cheers for the thoughts,bang on with the light flat dull and grey. I tried very hard to represent what I saw,especially this hare as she stands out as being different.

Steve, to the best of my knowledge and PLEASE correct if wrong,I have no exposure compensation on the 1Div,hence auto iso is pretty much useless for me ,it removes my ability to choose the exp. I hear you on SS steve,sure ISO 6400 would have been better,but after that I'm sort of hitting a wall and the SS gets reduced. I feel I can't with my ability push the 1div much further,and maintain the IQ I want to achieve.

Mate I'm trying to be objective,I know how much i'm learning,but the 1Div doesn't really handle these hi ISO's like the more modern cameras. How high do you think I can push this camera iso wise,what figure??

Great stuff many thanks Steve

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, are you shooting in manual or AV mode?

- You can set the ISO to A (Auto) P65.
    - Your SS will drop if you + the EV, if it goes to a Minus, then SS will increase

Stick it in Auto ISO, set to manual mode, set SS to what you want, set the DoF you want and see what happens when you use the EV compensation, P113 I think?

It's been a very long time since I shot with the MKIV, but ISO8000 if exposed well produces so OK images, the issue you have is ensuring SS is right for the capture.

13. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve,thanks for this...................... manual ,I always shoot manual.
    buddy pages in manual are right , how did you do that ,so cool I have no EC in M according to the book, I've come across talk of updates but nothing tangible. I'm me falible on anything digital. I think every thing is updated where it should be ,least ways I hope so. So if anything is different to the book I hopefully will find out.

cheers terribly relevent to this type of image and the chances I take. I never seem to really be choosing my techs of late,more forced into them,mind tis the end of winter. It will be light soon

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, after 8 years there will not be any updates ie Firmware, plus parts may not be available, however...

OK so it appears that in M mode the SS dictates the Exp comp level and if you put it in auto ISO it doesn't help correct? The issue I have as I said is that it's so long ago I loose track of what you can & cannot do, very frustrating.

BTW I sent you some more training stuff.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, after 8 years there will not be any updates ie Firmware, plus parts may not be available, however...

OK so it appears that in M mode the SS dictates the Exp comp level and if you put it in auto ISO it doesn't help correct? The issue I have as I said is that it's so long ago I loose track of what you can & cannot do, very frustrating.

BTW I sent you some more training stuff.
    Thanks again Steve and for the vids, got them!! I'll go through them later
    bless ya mate

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, excellent low perspective, and great eye contact. I would go nuts having such poor light every day I went out photographing. OK, you dont always have poor light.

With regards to EC, your 1D Mk IV certainly has it. Go to AV, and dial in your required EC with one of the wheels, I dont have my camera handy to say which one, as I am constantly using my EC with my 1D Mk IV. With poor light and using high ISO's you should be dialling in at least +0.67 EC - +1.0 EC. This will also give you more of a high key image and help with the noise.

18. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate the input Stu B, I think the issue was going M rather than AV and the manual does state this.

Stu P, when you get some clear space and start shooting again via AV mode, can you update both of us on how you got on.

All the best.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Stu, excellent low perspective, and great eye contact. I would go nuts having such poor light every day I went out photographing. OK, you dont always have poor light.

With regards to EC, your 1D Mk IV certainly has it. Go to AV, and dial in your required EC with one of the wheels, I dont have my camera handy to say which one, as I am constantly using my EC with my 1D Mk IV. With poor light and using high ISO's you should be dialling in at least +0.67 EC - +1.0 EC. This will also give you more of a high key image and help with the noise.

Stu cheers,I'll try this ,it will be a bit of a mindset shift aswell,but sure I'll try ,I really appreciate the above. Stu, no of course the light isn't always bad(ironically weekend past quite lovely),just had a run of it tis all,mind brit winters and times pressures,are an ill fated mix . I learn from this though tis frustrating but not negative.

Stu,what limit do you put on iso for the 1Div Steve's mentioned 8000 but also 8 years tis a long time, i'm curious as to where exactly you personally become unhappy with IQ??

Many thanks Stu I really appreciate this thanks for chiming in

ps Steve of course,I'll share how i get on,I'll falter a bit at first I've shot in M so long,but of course........ still at the boxing,still making images,not much time to process or reply. Sorry so brief

cheers both

stu