Thread: Herring Gull Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Herring Gull Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

A variation on the monthly theme. Here is a nice dual portrait of these Herring Gulls Captured them while they were engaged in a bit of a fight over the favor spot on the beach. From last summer on the beaches of Staten Island, NY. Since most of the shot is birds I really had to lower the quality percentage to fit the size requirement. Hopefully the details come through as they do on the original.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. F6.3, ISO 400, SS 1/2500

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A dramatic image Isaac--it's shots like this that give us a glimpse of the nitty-gritties of bird life that often doesn't register in just watching the action. I really like the detail you've caught in the irises of the eyes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac - I love the action captured, and the insane detail in the eyes of both gulls. I think the composition works great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful action, and I like the comp. Unfortunately the quality has suffered from converting and downsizing, such that the detail in the grey areas of the mantle and wings is very crunchy. I'm sure it looks spectacular in the original.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill. I posted and ran, haven't checked how it looked on screen. Keenin mind that these are both very worn, ratty and molting birds and the feathers will not look how they normally do. Are you seeing that or crunchy as in over sharpened? I'm asking cause it is sharpened the same as the rest of my shots. I'll have to check later.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do see some worn plumage, to be sure; but I'm also seeing what appears to be oversharpening, at least on my screen. Take a look when you get a chance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill. I'll check later. It's so beautiful I took my boys to the park. File was sharpened at .5 and 100 like all others but I'll have a look. Maybe the quality doesn't hold at that percentage?
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 04-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Ok so I just checked and I agree Bill 100% that it looked very bad as posted. Thank you. Figures the one time I don't check the file prior to posting! Turns out the file that was posted was sharpened twice by mistake and that is why it looked so bad!!! I went back to the TIFF and resharpened the file. Head and whites at .5 and 100. Gray areas at .3 and 60. Something about that worn plumage is just not translating well. If I went any higher on that area it just looked bad. Strange. Anyway it is a fun shot regardless of that.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 04-14-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is surely better. I used to see stuff like this all the time when they bred on the mainland at Captree State Park. Two good head angles.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They used to breed at Captree? Where? Was it near that lower lot that faces the bay?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost is better Isaac but it still doesn't seem quite right to me, the image has a very "heavy" look to it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Repost is better Isaac but it still doesn't seem quite right to me, the image has a very "heavy" look to it.
    Agree. There is too much gray in some areas of the white plumage.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 04-15-2018 at 05:12 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    They used to breed at Captree? Where? Was it near that lower lot that faces the bay?
    Yes, in that auxiliary lot. About 50-75 pairs of Herrings and a few pairs of Great Black-backed Gulls. I had some neat behavioral images published in then Living Bird Quarterly.

with love, artie

14. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm glad you reposted as this has spectacular action and perfect poses. I love the marble eyes, especially of the top individual.