Thread: Bushbuck

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bushbuck

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II + 1.4TC III ISO 2000 1/1600 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC
    Taken from a hide at Panic Pool Kruger park, I have some images with the thick knees in other locations around the bushbuck, and non ideal, I thought this one had a certain appeal. You may notice it was raining.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, any more image content below and have you applied any NR???

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No and yes respectively Steve. Background too smooth??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon those thick-knees look to be taking an interest,I like the deer itself but perhaps could do with a little more below and agree with you on the bg,you really are wetting my appetite for Africa with your shots.

Keith.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Nice to see a bushbuck. The image looks a bit dark and underexposed to me. I would reduce the cyans if it were mine. I also agree about it being tight below.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

I have news for you my friend, I am busy packing to go to Kruger Park, leaving on Friday Should be cleaning my camera gear now but I could not help but have a look at the latest images. What a nice surprise, seeing your bushbuck image tonight!

Having been to Lake Panic just once I remember a rather busy hide and not much space to move around. Saw a great number of water birds and we even heard a leopard call, unfortunately no visual. What was your experience like, and circumstances at this sighting?

I think the subject is sharp and there's nice detail, colours perfectly natural. You handled the lighting conditions well, frame does appear a bit dark overall but easy fix if you like. The only serious issue for me is the lack of space at the bottom, which makes me think your movements were probably limited?

Really glad to see you had some lovely sightings here in SA, would love to see more

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, the hide was fine, I went in the afternoon - better light direction - not that there was any to speak of! I went about three times maybe four, the number of people there varied from none to about six. Plenty of birds - thick knees and white faced whistling ducks purple heron, crake and resident fish eagle on the big tree on the left about 40-50 yards out. Few crocs about and some pied kingfishers, I think a few weavers too oh and a a couple of jacana adults and a couple of immatures.. Some local people had a flat skimmer on which they could place their wimberley heads, this looked good, I found the bean bag rather awkward and I used the tripod where I could, but as you indicate it can prove a little awkward for creating decent composition.
    I would suggest get there before 3pm, it soon fills and there is a sign indicating limited numbers of people and cars. I saw the nyala about 300 yards from the hides. Wish I was there now! Good luck... as Stu said good action can be seen on the RHS but that purple heron and croc were more to the left near the large logs.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon for all the info, much appreciated, and I will do my best to bring some images from this trip. Last I was there I had some awesome sightings of Ground Hornbills as well as Wild Dogs. I admit I am not used to sharing my sightings with people - no matter how special the sighting I will drive past if I see cars lined up:)

Keep well and have a wonderful week-end my friend, I know it's only Wednesday but I have holiday fever already, off to pack some more

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, you already know my thoughts so won't rehash them.

Cheers
    Steve