Thread: Muskrat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Muskrat

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created at Montezuma national wildlife refuge in Tyre, New York on 4/12/18 at 8:32AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 2500
    f8.0
    1/640sec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see a different subject John, but I think you needed to have been further round to your right to make this one work. The out of focus rear half dominates the frame a little too strongly in my opinion. Not sure if this was an option on this occasion or not, but if they're local to you it'd be well worth having another go

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting subject John, there seems to be an abundance of wildlife in that nature reserve. I like the image I think the subject is a little large in the frame and as a consequence it highlights the problem that Mike has previously mentioned. had it been a little smaller you would have had that bit more DOF. I like the colour rendition and that fur looks really luxuriant.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Good to see something different. Colors look good but I agree with Mike and Jon, you needed more dof (and more ss) here. Also the muskrat seems to be angled slightly away from the sensor.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

I have a soft spot for the little things in nature so I think your Muskrat is very cute. I like the feeding/munching pose here and the way he is bundled among the grasses, he seems relaxed and unaware of you.

HA could be better but I guess for some reason you were unable to move about. Colours and tonality spot on. The lack of SS is unfortunate though, as well as OOF body of the subject which tends to draw the eye too much.

Hope you get more opportunities with this species, I think they make very interesting subjects to photograph. Thank you so much for sharing

Hope you have a pleasant evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the subject John, but surprised about the DoF at f/8, you were either too closed or needed more!!! Agree too big in frame, this is something I think you need to work on John, the balance in frame and the DoF. You should try the DoF preview button, this may help you.

TFS
    Steve