Thread: Mountain hare

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held,Canon 1DX Canon 500mm F4 L IS II & 1.4 TC III Auto ISO -1/3, ISO 1000, 1/2000 sec f8

ACR + PSCC (Hope Colour Temperature doesn't appear too far out to you, it was early morning- hoping to get ambient light in my study sorted out once and for all in next couple of days, I appreciate some of my colours have been all over the place.)

A small hare in the frame but I liked the setting with the icicles, boy it was a bit cool up there on't moors! (Larger in the frame to follow, this is just a taster as it were.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ji Jon, I like the small in frame Hare with those icicles hanging. Nice positioning of the subject, if I were to nit pick I'd wish the OOF patch(grass?) at the foot of the hare was not there. Look forward to the next one :-)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, sadly this one isn't really working for me. I'm not loving the subjects position and I find the OOF FG too dominating, but I do like the icicles .

Can't really tell on the colour, you have the mid grey almost spot on, but this is where you need to then move the direction. I think you may have been ok at ISO800?

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, sadly this one isn't really working for me. I'm not loving the subjects position and I find the OOF FG too dominating, but I do like the icicles .

Can't really tell on the colour, you have the mid grey almost spot on, but this is where you need to then move the direction. I think you may have been ok at ISO800?

TFS
    Steve
    That's fine Steve I understand your reservations, but I was pleased to get the hare with the snow and icicles for a starter as it were. At this point we had just done some uphill walking so we weren't exactly rock steady and I wasn't resting on anything that's why the shutter speed was 1/2000. If you mean I could have used 800 and underexposed a little more... not so sure because I think it was about 2/3 to 1/1 underexposed.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

At this point we had just done some uphill walking so we weren't exactly rock steady and I wasn't resting on anything that's why the shutter speed was 1/2000.
    Without this bit I was assuming that you had set up and just shooting, as the Hare was 'still' I just thought that perhaps 1/1600 may have just dropped the ISO a fraction, albeit that it really would not have made any real difference to the IQ. However, I would agree that with this additional info 1/2000 was good, always nice to have some SS.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I like the small in frame concept but I have the same problems with this frame that Steve does. I find the oof fg too much and feel you needed to get closer or higher if possible to lessen that and also to get the tips of all the icicles visible. I want to see all the full icicles and a little space for them to drip into. (I know that's really nit picking but how I feel.) Looking forward to seeing more though from your outing/trip.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon what a treat,one day,I'd love to try these. It's a nice frame Jon I share some of the reservations, detailed above. But as a taster, my appetite is certainly wetted can't wait to see more,I'm more than a little jealous Jon !!

TFS

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great subject Jon - every year I say I'm going to spend some time with these and never seem to get the time and weather together. I agree the foreground is a bit overbearing so looking forward to the closer shots

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon have read all the above comments and that bit of oof stuff is a bit of a pain,see what you are trying to get with your habitat and do think it works ,do like the concept .As always well done getting nice Hare shots.

Just scand over 600 acres tonight looking for the brown ones,saw one.

Keith.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Cute Mountain Hare - don't think I have seen one before here on BPN This chap has small ears and its fur looks so soft, what a pretty subject to photograph!

I so wish you had gotten closer. I do like the habitat and icicles but if IQ permits I would go for a vertical comp, subject looks a bit lost in the frame to me.

So I am waiting to see the next image you promised... Techs look good, so do the colours. Me thinking you could extract more from this cutie, but let us see the close-up. Thank you for the "taster", love to see new species and I really appreciate you posting this

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea