Thread: Theme:Great blue heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme:Great blue heron

Name:  great blue heron portrait.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  283.0 KBThese great blue herons are my favourite bird to photograph around here, that being Ladner B.C. This one was really co-operative in that it waltzed around within 25 yds. of me for about 10 min. Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm f/2.8-5.6 OS HSM APO Contemp., ISO 1000, f/6.3, 1/800, HH

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Bob. Feather detail is amazing and the background colour really compliments the subject. Some eye contact would of really nailed this one. Wish the Herons in my area were so comfortable around humans!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim. They're funny birds--some, like this one, will let you get close while others will fly as soon as you stop the truck within 50 yd.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tons of detail in this one and a good background that matches the birds color. I also think a slight turn wouldve helped and also helped eliminate some of the OOF shoulder. The bird looks very determined. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some great detail here Bob. Love the facial expression and curves on the neck. If the bird had been looking around towards us, this would have been excellent. Great POV and the BG shows the bird well.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfectly exposed and detailed look at this guy. The head angle, as mentioned, needs to a bit more interactive to make this really connect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer feather detail and a dramatic feel to the image make this one special. Next time in the exact same situation try squeaking a bit and see if the bird turns toward you. Sometimes they fly away :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments and advice on this . I'll give that a try Arthur. I've done it with hawks and eagles with some success.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post