Thread: Pin-tailed Whydah

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pin-tailed Whydah

Attached Images Attached Images

An interesting bird in a number of ways. The male, shown here in breeding plumage, apparently has a memorable display flight, hovering over one of the females in his harem and flapping his tail. We saw him on a branch with just one female nearby, and hoped to catch him in flight but didn't. He loses that magnificent tail after breeding season ends. The species parasitizes the Common Waxbill. A slight head-turn would have been nice here, but the only frame I got with a head turn also had the tail drooping down to intersect the horizontal branch. (I considered a head transplant, but thought better of it.)

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 550mm; ISO 2000, 1/2500s @ f/7.1. HH from vehicle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is pretty neat looking. A better head angle like you say would be better. This is still nice though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's one crazy bird. Too bad for the head angle, otherwise very nice capture.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man that tail is impressive. A nice perch too. Yes to having a slight head turn, but can't control that. Nice BG, although I think I would do just a tad less NR. Looks like the sigma really worked out for this trip. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill - this is a really cool looking bird. I like your bg and perch, and I love your subject to bg distance here..the separation really makes the bird stand out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good pose, good background, good perch. Head angle is not perfect but not a deal breaker. I think your bigger problem is that the head looks a little soft and the whites on the face and nape look hot. I'd try to see if you can tone that and run a bit more sharpening on the face.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture, Bill. Nice detail with beautiful light. You have a great BG and perfect perch giving room for that tail.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Birds will super long tails like this are a compositional challenge, but you've done well here. Clean frame and cool perch work well.
    Head angle could be better, but it's still a good shot. Bit of posterization in the dark area in front of the bird.