Thread: They want me to what? Lion #2

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default They want me to what? Lion #2

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm still pretty darn tired, and my brother is sound asleep.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 170mm, 1/2000s, f 7.1, HH, ISO 3200.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 04-10-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - A simple, yet effective portrait. The raised head, slightly open mouth and look from the lion make this much more engaging. Techs look good and so do colors and detail. I would be tempted to give it a bit more punch if it were mine, but watch the blacks when doing so.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is one impressive lion, I presume he is resting after feeding. I like the colours and the pose, very sharp and good DOF. The grasses look like I think they would look and there is negligible noise.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Geoffrey,

This must have been an exciting and impressive sighting and you must have gotten pretty close to the lions. I notice the blood stain on the subject's body, was it fresh and was there a kill nearby?

One beautiful male in his prime and awesome to see you establish eye contact with him. He looks indeed tired... I imagine he was catching his breath after the chase? Would love to know the story behind the image.

Super techs, nice work in the field, good thinking in terms of composition. I would personally prefer a tad more warmth, but you were there... so entirely up to you

I took the liberty to borrow your image and tried to lift the blacks in places ( eyes and gums), also worked on the eyes a little - please let me know what you think of my humble RP?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, a fine looking male lion with good eye contact and head angle. Nice details and sharpness. Gabriela's RP has taken this up a notch I think. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking male, and the head is nicely clear of any obstructions. I too thought a little extra punch wouldn't hurt

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a fine shot of this handsome beast. I like the comp; techs look good; and a great pose with eye contact. Gabriela's RP does make it pop a bit more.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Geoffrey,

This must have been an exciting and impressive sighting and you must have gotten pretty close to the lions. I notice the blood stain on the subject's body, was it fresh and was there a kill nearby?

One beautiful male in his prime and awesome to see you establish eye contact with him. He looks indeed tired... I imagine he was catching his breath after the chase? Would love to know the story behind the image.

Super techs, nice work in the field, good thinking in terms of composition. I would personally prefer a tad more warmth, but you were there... so entirely up to you

I took the liberty to borrow your image and tried to lift the blacks in places ( eyes and gums), also worked on the eyes a little - please let me know what you think of my humble RP?

Kind regards,
    Hi Gabriela,

Yes it was most exciting to get this close to these beauties. I would say the blood stain on the lion was fairly fresh, but there were no signs of their dinner.

Indeed the two brothers, previous post of them sleeping, getting some shuteye after consuming what must have been a substantial meal.

I felt my original post was representative of the quality of light, but now that I've seen your repost and the fine work you've done in the areas you mention, it does add punch. I might split the difference.

Thanks for taking the time to work on the repost.

Geoffrey

Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 04-17-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    That is one impressive lion, I presume he is resting after feeding. I like the colours and the pose, very sharp and good DOF. The grasses look like I think they would look and there is negligible noise.
    Thanks Jonathan. I'm glad you mentioned the grasses looking as you would think they look. Since I have quite a few pictures in this type/mixture of grasses, living and dead under varying skies, it's not easy to get the true color levels represented. Doing my best.

Geoffrey

Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 04-17-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Everyone, and for your much appreciated suggestions.

Geoffrey

Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 04-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for your reply Geoffrey.

Chat soon, I will be away for a few days and searching for one of those beauties to photograph

Have a beautiful day, and a great rest of the week!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea