Thread: Elephants drinking

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephants drinking

Attached Images Attached Images

We left the lion pride to see what else was around before the evening came to a close and 'sundowners were consumed'. We notice a small herd moving toward the channel obviously coming for an late afternoon refreshment. So we sped along to get to the point we thought they would come to and positioned the jeep in the water for what I thought was better angle. This frame was with the 'lead' party arriving, another eight were to follow.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Elephants drinking towards the end f the day
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH (may have had a PL-C filter in place)
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1250 (techs should have been better)
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - A nice grouping of eles in even nicer light. I do wish the one on the left was a little more left so that it's head was clear of the rear of the smaller ele but not a deal breaker. I think you got away with the aperture here but it looks like you were close and I probably would have gone for a bit more dof with the grouping. I think the colors look natural including the blues in the shadowed area of the water. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good to me. Not sure what you mean by techs should have been better. Of course i have no where near the understanding that you do.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty impressive Steve! Have you done a lot with the light or was it so sublime?
    I am struggling with your reservations, the image looks plenty sharp enough and the DOF looks fine - whats up?
    My only very slight reservation is the vibrance of the leaves in the tree above the intersection of the ele head and ele rear..... probably OK but rather eye catching perhaps?
    Did you do some masking and blending on the water using Multiply and adjusting brush/layer opacity? I like this one - a lot!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Superb light indeed and what a lovely scene of this trio quenching their thirst. Framing is great. Subjects look sharp and wonderful detail despite shallow DoF. I like everything, from the brilliance of those leaves and grasses to the ripples in the water and wrinkles on the elephants' skin.

Is the one at the back in musth? At first I thought it was a female but then noticed the stain on the side of its head. This would explain why he is pushing his mate from behind - he is a little moody, I guess?

Your images always look effortless but it is obvious you pay attention to detail. This is beautiful, I like it as presented. Makes me want to go out there chasing good light, if you know what I mean

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely light and drinking pose Steve. Am sure it was worth the detour to watch these amazing creatures. Nice details and sharpness.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do wish the one on the left was a little more left so that it's head was clear of the rear of the smaller ele but not a deal breaker.
    Yep.

I probably would have gone for a bit more dof with the grouping
    I probably did, but may have changed it by mistake whilst dialling in the EV.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what you mean by techs should have been better.
    John, I probably had the aperture set to f/11, but as in my reply above to Rachel, I may have, by mistake, changed it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My only very slight reservation is the vibrance of the leaves in the tree above the intersection of the ele head and ele rear..... probably OK but rather eye catching perhaps?
    I'm OK with that Jon and reflective, I'm not in favour of 'darkening' the area.

Did you do some masking and blending on the water using Multiply and adjusting brush/layer opacity? I like this one - a lot!
    Jon, it's perhaps just down to a filter (something a lot of folk over look) when shooting from viewing the Raw, but there is a whole raft of options that can be applied.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is the one at the back in musth? At first I thought it was a female but then noticed the stain on the side of its head. This would explain why he is pushing his mate from behind - he is a little moody, I guess?
    Could well be Gabriela, there wasn't any trouble...

Your images always look effortless but it is obvious you pay attention to detail.
    Keeping the WF simple, going Workshops on the Software and understanding it, but having a good RAW and well exposed helps for sure. I've been meaning to post an image which will have to wait until the end of next week which may dispel the idea of having/needing the best kit, but reinforces 'I think' that it all comes back to the techs and why I keep bang on (as someone put it a couple of months ago) .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve - I so look forward to your post next week!

My workflow is very simple, maybe too simple. Unfortunately I am not able to go to workshops because of the nature of my business. Also, I live so far from the big city where these things happen. I count on good light (whenever possible) and try pay attention to techs out there in the field in order to get decent images. Understanding my gear is also important. As well as a little help and advice every now and then from Mr. Detail
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I'm OK with that Jon and reflective, I'm not in favour of 'darkening' the area.

Jon, it's perhaps just down to a filter (something a lot of folk over look) when shooting from viewing the Raw, but there is a whole raft of options that can be applied.
    I get your drift - thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Very late on this but I certainly like to say that this looks superb. Loved the light , the scene and the exceptional IQ as well . Beautifully done . TFS !