Thread: Wild Dog

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dog

Attached Images Attached Images

It was mid morning and quite warm in the Okavango Delta, when we spotted a pack of Wild Dogs stopping for a rest and dip in a shallow pan. I captured this beauty saying it all. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm, 1/2500s, f6.3, HH, ISO 1250.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 04-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey lovely relaxed pose with this Dog taking advantage of the cooling water,detail and colours all look good ,a very nice natural shot.

Keith.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - Great low pov and relaxed pose of the dog. If it was mid morning then it must have been overcast because the light looks even and not harsh. I might have gone for a little more room below. If it were mine I would open up the midtones of the main subject just slightly. It brings out a little more detail. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice work here Geoffrey. This type of light is very kind and lovely to work with. I would go with lifting the midtones a bit on this one.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot I like the composition and pose. Luminosity curve to the head reveals more detail in the pale coat. A little dehaze filter on the water improves rendition.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Geoffrey, the image is nice because we don't often see WD'd lying in the grass like this and by water too.

I like the framing and POV. Techs, again you could have dropped to 1/1600ss and say 7.1 DoF, however it does not appear sharp to me, also I feel the image appears to have been lightened (lifted) in the face and neck. Contrast also appears quite strong offering a strong white to black balance - did you use Levels? Controlling this aspect will be better and will help to avoid lifting any mid tone thus losing detail, I think it's the other way because you have controlled the contrast, but...

Agree on the FG, but dehaze is limited, alpha channels and blend modes or curves provides greater control here.

The RP is only to illustrate the point in relation to the water, to what degree is personal choice Geoffrey.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, and I appreciate your input. Steve, I like your illustrative repost showing your description. Very helpful points and suggestions.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu