Thread: Incoming leveret Brown hare :Lepus europeas UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Incoming leveret Brown hare :Lepus europeas UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey guys, hope you are all well apologies for the sporadic posting at the mo.One from that stunning sunny eve in Aug last,I need a bit of warmth

Probably the most unusual case of pseudo baiting I'll ever declare........ this fella is not coming to me ,it's too wary. It has just mugged(bounced on) a rather more confiding kid,a lot bigger. So I have a 3/4 grown leveret beside my head attracting this one ,it was special that night!!

processed in DPP4 first then moved in pscc as a 16 tiff i'm fighting with the red channel a bit and not completely happy with hilights. I used curves reduced contrast and sharpened all selectively in PS . If there was any NR it would be in DPP,I processed this a while back. My biggest fear is the exp is too hot.I hope the IQ is there this is probably my fav image to make.A hare coming straight at one, when one the floor is simply a rush, I don't know how to say it the hairs on my neck stand up. It's utterly wild it's made to run away!! A sharp head especially the eyes I struggle with in these senarios,so there is a big emotional challenge and an image maker's challenge as well here for me,in a shot I'll never tire of trying to make. The fly stays

Canon 1Div 300f2.8 is 1.4 ext iii 1/2000 f8 iso 3200 At the back and of a blightly winter it's lovely having this low iso

We have our first leverets down here

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,Stu I do like this and in my opinion do think it's your best todate ,great that you got some help from the baby,still difficult to get one of these to come right at you so very well done.Nice detail and colour looks about right,perhaps a bit bright on the left as I look at it but minor to me and I suspect that the light was coming from that side.Would be well pleased if it was mine.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this head on view of the hare. The low angle is nice. I would get rid of the black spot in the upper left.

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, perfect position and level and I very much like the fact you have OOF vegetation below, at the foot of the image, pretty spot on for me. Now for the framing, I'm not a lover of the landscape, centre frame, it's a bit 'boring'. Either move the subject off centre, or you should have spun the lens into portrait mode, you will have had time to do this before it set off I'm sure knowing your fieldcraft . Techs look good, but if you could, then 1/4000SS may have been better. Personally I would evil the small piece of straw.

Each posting is getting better Stu, you should be pleased with yourself, well done.

TFS
    Steve

6. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Your fieldcraft paid off again. Love the low pov and the coming at you pose here. You've controlled the hls fairly well and the colors look good. Great to see you getting the hang of the pp in addition to the fieldcraft. My first thought on opening this was that it screams out for a vertical presentation.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image Stu with great angle and pose with pleasing BG. The ears are huge! Nice one. Agree the framing could be better.

10. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys,thanks so much .I agree completely about the framing should have been framed in portrait.My bad guys, having two on the go I simply got caught,in the wrong orientation to what I should have been in for this frame.Mind I was a tiny bit bewildered at the time,knowing Taz was within touching distance feeding,but way to close to even try and frame,had the old heart racing. No excuses though ,i'm incredibly lucky to have been given these experiences,i'll cherish evening this for a long long time. Steve I think I was with them for an hour or thereabouts,so yup should have had time,but the special stuff happens so quick. These hares close have been a real oppurtunity to get better at shifting the camera orientation fast,the skillset isn't there yet,but it's a real eyeopener as to just how fast one has to be and great for me to experience .SS noted !!

Keith, yes those hi lights left side are exactly my niggle,the sun is very low nearly setting and at a right angle to the approaching leveret. Keith note the pupils,I was amazed by how they are reacting independently of each other to the light,I'd not really noticed this before in a hare.

Keith I'm good .

thanks guys
    stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu ...lovely head on shot of that hare , perfect for me with the approach . Great field craft !!!!
    I can only echo Steve here about framing and other stuff .
    I am with you about the HL īs , too bright for my taste , and indeed it is for sure the red channel that is partly lost .At this stage you can recover some detail by blending the green channel into the red with ( multiply blend mode ) . This might be too complicated at the moment .
    You are making your way ....
    TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I think I was with them for an hour or thereabouts,so yup should have had time,but the special stuff happens so quick.
    Stu, you have a very good grasp of their ways, so I think you should be anticipating their moves. Some folk may think this is a bit harsh, but you now where I'm coming from Stu. It's hard at times to be one step ahead, but plan you techs and you're half way there, you have the fieldcraft and knowledge of your subjects.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the action and the direction, I would probably have gone for portrait presentation I think there would be more impact.
    For me the image is slightly overexposed and showing what I call DPP colours, it looks a bit yellow to me - maybe because it is bright the yellow is exaggerated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stu ...lovely head on shot of that hare , perfect for me with the approach . Great field craft !!!!
    I can only echo Steve here about framing and other stuff .
    I am with you about the HL īs , too bright for my taste , and indeed it is for sure the red channel that is partly lost .At this stage you can recover some detail by blending the green channel into the red with ( multiply blend mode ) . This might be too complicated at the moment .
    You are making your way ....
    TFS Andreas
    Andreas,mutilpy...might that be multiple?? blending mode is going to be too complicated,because I have no knowledge yet,but now I can research and learn. Thanks for this post buddy very very helpful for me,it's lovely to have the confirmation,that I was right worrying on those hilghts and the red channel .

Great stuff Andreas thanks so much hope you are well buddy

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, you have a very good grasp of their ways, so I think you should be anticipating their moves. Some folk may think this is a bit harsh, but you now where I'm coming from Stu. It's hard at times to be one step ahead, but plan you techs and you're half way there, you have the fieldcraft and knowledge of your subjects.
    Not harsh at all Steve ,I think you're bang on!! I am reading them,but not quite there yet Steve, much to learn my friend, not only about the image making but the subjects aswell. Mind as I learn more i'm starting to quest for more unusual mages like my so called mugging,which one can't learn about other than by doing. Great for me pushing so hard at one subject Steve,it'll come !!

cheers

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I love the action and the direction, I would probably have gone for portrait presentation I think there would be more impact.
    For me the image is slightly overexposed and showing what I call DPP colours, it looks a bit yellow to me - maybe because it is bright the yellow is exaggerated.
    Agreed on the portrait Jon,I guess fella is close enough I could have cropped,but that isn't my goal. I need to nail the framing

Points on exp (& colours)noted,thanks Jon,these confirmations of my concerns,as with Andreas,are incredibly helpful

Many thanks

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Stu,
    This must be the best "Lepus" I have seen from you so far, well done mate

Super techs, great POV, pose is fantastic. Whites a bit hot on the hind limbs of this cutie but you can tame them.

Killer BG, that dark spot in the upper left corner you can eliminate if you go for a vertical crop, WDYT? And maybe a bit of gardening?
    Stu, your progress is just amazing buddy - nice work, let's see some more please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Stu,
    This must be the best "Lepus" I have seen from you so far, well done mate

Super techs, great POV, pose is fantastic. Whites a bit hot on the hind limbs of this cutie but you can tame them.

Killer BG, that dark spot in the upper left corner you can eliminate if you go for a vertical crop, WDYT? And maybe a bit of gardening?
    Stu, your progress is just amazing buddy - nice work, let's see some more please

Kind regards,
    Hello Gabriela,please forgive my slow reply,we have some light today it's wonderful.....not rain and dull grey,here's to a wonderful weekend for all. We shall try for more in a while,i'm so excited

Such a lovely evening mate ,I had an absolute ball.I agree with everything you have said,I've got to work out how to present those hilights in a better way !! Thanks for the edit mate I know you are very time pressed too,tis very kind .I should have made it in portrait , that's the truth of this one.

Focusing in on one subject,really pushes one forwards Gabriela,beyond listening to my teachers.These hares are actively making me seek out knew bkgs new images to what I have already aquired but one can't beat a chance like the above in some lovely light

have a cracker of a weekend Gabriela

take care

stu

20. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post