Thread: Tsessebe Adult and Calf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tsessebe Adult and Calf

Attached Images Attached Images

Birds were the primary focus of my recent trip to Botswana, but having now processed over 60 species of avian images, I've decided to look at a few of the animals. And we did indeed see some great 4-footed beasts. Here are an adult and calf Tsessebe, prancing through the bush.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 240mm; ISO 2000, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual. HH. Slight crop from right and top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, great to see you posting here in Wildlife. A beautiful image of the Tsessebes with nice running pose and mid air freeze. Nice colours and tones. I would prefer slightly less above (below the OOF white line) and little more at the foot. Nice and sharp!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, ironic, I just replied to you and suggested if you had some images from Bots you should share them with us, thanks.

Techs look good Bill, nice SS to freeze the subjects and I particularly like the 'calf' in the 'spring' position with all four legs in the air. I find the framing a bit too high, I feel you needed to drop the whole frame down, with more below. I'm away and using my laptop, so I'll leave the colour aspect with Rachel.

Hope to see more...

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot I get the impression there is a slight glance at you as they run by. Colours just a little OTT - did you use vibrance? I get the impression the grass is a little yellow and the oranges just a little saturated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colours just a little OTT - did you use vibrance? I get the impression the grass is a little yellow and the oranges just a little saturated.
    Jon, that was my impression, but needed a second pair of eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice work on this Bill and good to see you posting here. Detail, pose and light are all great in this and nice simple setting. I'd be tempted to take some off the top too and maybe even go pano. Colour and contrast look quite strong here and I did wonder if you have boosted these in processing but the result is still quite pleasing visually. Maybe looks more interpretive than literal though?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Bill - Great to see you posting some mammals from your trip. I love the way the calf seems to be running to keep up with mom and that you captured all 4 feet off the ground. I agree with the suggestion for some off the top. I adjusted the WB off mom's horns, the luminance of the oranges and darkened the greens. Not sure if this is what Steve and Jon were thinking or if it is reflective of the actual colors. I hope you'll post more from your trip.

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture of these four footed beauties, Bill. Love the calf in flight/spring (your experience and expertise with BIF at work) position, as well the timing of placement. Agree with some off the top of frame or as mentioned possibly a pano.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for looking and commenting. I had considered a pano crop to take out the light band at the top; I agree it would be better. I wish I had more room at the bottom. In fact I stretched the canvas just a sliver to allow room for 'virtual feet', but didn't want to push it any further. As to the color, I adjusted WB off of the mother's horns but came up with a different result -- I warmed the image just a bit from the RAW file. I think Rachel's looks more realistic. Aside from that I did nothing to the yellows and greens of the background. I did run Tonal Contrast at around 30% on the animals, to make them pop a bit. In that sense, I suppose it is "more interpretive than literal", using Glenn's words.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did run Tonal Contrast at around 30% on the animals
    Hi Bill, I know it's each to their own, but next time can you post without TC, the reason being is that my initial thoughts were that the image had too much contrast and so the detail to a degree is lost, but that's my take. If however you rather not, could you then post one without as it would be good to see the difference/comparison.

Nikon have the advantage over Canon in that their Contrast is good unlike Canon's, and if you process with LR then one has to learn to control Contrast and with the new version of LR (7.3 which is a bag of nails) it just adds a few more tweaks in my case.

Look forward seeing more in due course.

Cheers
    Steve

12. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill great to see the Tsessebe´s , well captured and the youngster flying is great .
    I am fine with the framing in general , but do agree with Steve about moving the crop down , would have been better for the overall balance .
    Colors are looking very nice to me , albeit being somehow a bit more vibrant , does fit well for me. Tones are looking good likewise , but would also like to see a version with that fancy NIK stuff .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just love this, Bill. Frame well captured with great techs and pose from both mother and calf is superb.

I agree that Rachel's RP seems more realistic, but having seen Botswana recently after some heavy rains I am inclined to go with the OP in terms of vibrance and colour.
    Thank you so much for sharing your images with us here in Wildlife, what a lovely surprise. This works for me as presented, wonderful sharpness and detail as well as tonality - lovely work

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea