Thread: Crimson Rosella

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crimson Rosella

Name:  IMG_1052 BPN v2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  493.1 KB
    I do like the mottled look of these as they moult into adult plumage. This one taken at the birdbath in my garden. These young birds visit fairly regularly. Light was going on me here so I had to push my luck with techs - but having plenty of chances and getting plenty of frames helps. Crop is about a third of the frame area.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/125 sec, f7.1, ISO 2000. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 2.5, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur) after final size reduction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fantastic portrait. Really nice feather details and colors. I love the reflection of the sky and trees in the eye. These birds are great and were super tame. I have video of a flock of them that landed on me at the entrance to the Jenolan Caves. They were really into eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and just landed on my head, walked down my arm and started eating my sandwich like it was theirs!

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So much color is this, love it. Details look great. Nice composition and pose.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn - as the others have said it's a beautiful shot. I love the colors and the detail on the bird, and the BG is perfect for this bird. Looks great.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

super detail

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really lovely detail and colors. Nice processing. Would love to have these guys as a backyard bird! TFS

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic feather detail on the lower left part of the bird - looks like sharpness has fallen off on the face, perhaps critical focus was on the shoulder. Beautiful rendering of the colours, and the comp feels well balanced.

13. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful portrait! Lots of great colors and details to look at. I used to raise these guys for the pet industry. My kids kept one and named it Skittles for the multi colored candy they liked Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Fantastic feather detail on the lower left part of the bird - looks like sharpness has fallen off on the face, perhaps critical focus was on the shoulder. Beautiful rendering of the colours, and the comp feels well balanced.
    Thanks Daniel: re critical focus, I always have issues with sharpness in the reds. Not sure if it's something I'm not doing right but it do see it sometimes. If you look at the fine bristles in front of the bill, it suggests focus was good in that area. Maybe the sensor struggles a bit with contrast in the reds and gives the impression of softness?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice Glenn. The colours look real good here. Very nice POV and great detail. The BG colour shows the bird real well. Well done.

Will

18. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post