Thread: Molting Short-billed Dowitcher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Molting Short-billed Dowitcher

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a fun time of year here on the SF Bay as the shorebirds are changing into their best clothes ahead of migration and the summer nesting season.
    This SB Dowitcher is about half molted, the outgoing winter plumage being gray and the incoming breeding molt being brick red.

Head angle isn't perfect, but coupled with the drop of mud I think it gives him/her a very surprised look, as though I interrupted him midway through his meal.
    Fun fact: Female dowitchers have longer bills than males.

You can see how far he sinks into the mud, so I really had to earn this shot in there with him. Very, very dirty afterwards!

Canon 500mm f/4 IS v1 + 1.4x III on EOS 5D Mark IV
    1/1600 at f/5.6, ISO 1000, handheld on stomach
    Processed in Lightroom - nothing tricky!

Cheers
    Dorian

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Dorian. Love that cool blue background! Head angle could be better as you said but it really doesn't bother me, IQ is superb!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, I thought my light was sweet, yours is even sweeter. Getting down and dirty has really paid off here, and love the semi raised leg full of mud. Detail and colours on the Dowitcher look good, and the dirty droplets captured in mid air takes this over the top. Well timed and captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow great light! I like the look on the birds face it adds a nice feeling to image. also the muddy bill is nice, it is always nice when you can tell the bird is doing something.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird in the habitat and the light is just beautiful. As you mentioned the head angle is a little too far off I think but not a deal breaker. The problem is that the bird looks a little soft to me, especially the head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The original image represents about ~60% of the full frame. Here is a close-up of the head to show detail. This is 5-7% of the original frame. I can see individual lashes, so I think it looks OK, accounting for the crop of course.
    Processing is my admitted weak point, so maybe there's more detail that can be extracted.

Name:  short-billed dowitcher 040218.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  576.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you that that looks pretty good. Must be something in the processing. If you want, PM and then you can email me the RAW. I can try and see if I can improve it at all. I'm sitting at my computer while there is a house full of woman and children so looking for an excuse to stay away!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great light as already pointed out, and the muddy legs and bill are a nice touch. As are the falling water drops. Agree about head angle. I could also see a version wit the birds a touch lower in the frame. As for sharpness, I'm wondering if different monitors/resolutions render sharpness differently, as the image looks tack sharp from my end.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A real beauty Dorian. Great POV, great light, great pose with the lifted leg and the falling drops really add. The pop is great too and like the way the lower half of the frame is brighter than the upper half. I can't see any problems with detail in this one. If mine, the only thing I'd revisit is the highlights on the bird, particularly the underside, which I would reduce just a whisker but I am nit-picking what is a very fine shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Glenn points out I think the image is too bright, that combined with something in processing is making it look a little soft on the 5k imac. I think that this screen and the quality 4k screens really make a big difference when processing images and for presentation. If it is not razor sharp then it just will not look good. But as the closeup shows, there is detail there that I think could be brought out more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent depiction of the dowitcher in its habitat. Sweet light. Details look tack sharp on my screen. Would not change anyhting

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog