Adobe Photoshop CC
    Selective Color

White point colour correction
    Nik Software - Dfine 2.0 background only
    Photoshop USM subject only

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture, Nick. Like the full up wing position, toes on left foot nicely submerged, and droplets of water add. Nice handling of the whites and what a lovely BG.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect timing here. Love the color of the background and the water. Maybe a tad tight in the upper right corner.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, this is great! A bit more room above would make this a near perfect gull image. Nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty. Exposure looks spot-on, background is gorgeous, and wing position excellent. Great timing. A bit of room top and right would bring it up a notch, IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Nick! Love the splash, wings, and yellow BG! Bit more room at the top of frame would be nice, as stated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic Nick! I'll echo what others have already said: awesome light, perfect exposure of the whites, good feather detail, wing position, catchlight in the eye, head angle, all good! A bit of extra room at the top and to the right and it would be perfect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors are really beautiful and the background is perfect. Love thew wing position. I'm surprised that others have not mentioned this but the colors of the bird are off. The whites are mostly grayed over and the whole bird has a blue cast. I would also run some more noise reduction on the background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and constructive criticism, its very much appreciated. I have added some canvas to the top and right of the image, I have also moved the blue / yellow colour balance slider in the midtones in favour of yellow by 18. I have also given the background another round of noise reduction.

Name:  Black-headed-Gull02c.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  125.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I think this is a step in the right direction but the bird still has a strong blue cast. I did the following to the bird. Did a crude selection. Went into hue/saturation and selected the blue channel.Then lowered the blues by 100% and it did very little. Then I went into the NIK software. Went to the remove color cast filter and slid it to the blues. Kept opacity at 100% and that did a better job of removing much of the strong color cast. In selective color I then went to the white channel and reduced the blacks in the whites by at 10 points. Then on the background I ran some more neat image NR and I cloned out the blue area on the lower right of the image in the water. Too much work on the background that has caused posterization. Best for you of course to go the the full res tiff and do this stuff. Same goes with the bird. Any changes will be much better done on the original.

Interestingly, I just finished processing a few images from last year taken with my 1dx of terns and gulls that also had very strong blue casts like this one. I will post a few of them soon. I am really not sure what causes this to happen in certain situations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nick - I'm glad I didn't miss this one. Beautiful shot with gorgeous light as the others have said. With Isaac's help it looks even better. Amazing light, colors, BG, water reflections, upwing landing pose, sharpness. You've put a lot of variables together in this shot. Great job.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning frame with excellent suggestions and reposts. I like Isaac's version the best.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the repost Isaac and thanks for the comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thought I would give it another go. In DPP I used a warmer white balance than before then in Photoshop I used the dodge tool to lighten the dark parts of the under wing. Thanks for the time you have spent on this Isaac and hopefully helping me to improve my image.

Name:  Black-headed-Gull02d.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  276.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 1st thing I thought when I opened up this image was how beautiful of a pose this was and how much of a blue cast was on the bird.
    Looks like Isaac's repost really made a big difference and your last one is looking good too. Great looking background also. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David. I think this web site has done what it says on the tin and educated by constructive criticism, I'm grateful for Issac's observations and ideas.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks way better Nick. Way better. Excellent job on the repost! Nice clean whites always make me smile

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac