Thread: Wild Dog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dog

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,
    Posting something different & one from my Selous Reserve image. Had posted some WDs then but this one had a nice HA and BG. Wish I had shot with more SS but I guess I got away here. Miss those dogs & their puppies.
    5DIII
    500 II
    1/400
    f/6.3
    ISO 800

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Sanjeev! The dog's left eye perhaps a little too dark but the detail is tops and the BG colors complement it well!

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love that look Sanjeev and the warm and soft background. Light is really beautiful here too but the highlit side of the dog's head looks odd to my eye and is drawing my attention - maybe it's just a result of pale fur in strong light? As for techs, I'd have tried for a little more DOF here to get those ears in sharp focus as well as the detail on the rest of the face including snout looks excellent. In spite of the minor issues I can see, I still think this shot has excellent visual impact and one of the nicest I can recall seeing from you in recent times.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite a gaze from this beauty nicely captured, Sanjeev. Perhaps if you toned down the right side of the dogs head and temple a bit. The quality of light is so nice along with a lovely BG, plus the wonderful expression.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot and the colours. The eyes look marginally less in focus than the nose to me. I suspect contrast could be lowered a little giving a little more detail in the darks and perhaps lowering the highlights slightly. I would definitely lower the highlights on the dogs RHS face. For me there is a little too much negative space on LHS. I like the background. Sounds a bit critical maybe but I think it is a good image.

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Always nice to see a wild dog and I agree about the HA and bg. To me, the lit side of the face already looks like the hls were recovered substantially (too far) giving it that recovered, less-detail look. Were they hot in the raw? I like the comp and am ok with the negative space but would tone down the bright grasses in the bg slightly.

TFS,
    Rachel

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I life the overall colour palette, but:

Agree on less space LHS it's too much and the framing unbalanced
    LHS of the head does appear to have been recovered - are you using your Histogram & Highlights enabled?
    Agree with you, more SS and a fraction more DoF
    BKG looks too smooth, did you apply any NR, at ISO 800 you should not need to, or did you 'blur' it?
    Love the light in the LH eye

TFS
    Steve

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

This is one very pretty looking WD - love the pose, eye contact as well as colours. I do agree about framing, a bit too much on the LHS. Is this a large crop?

I too wish for more SS, and more DoF would have been great. HA is indeed superb.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Sorry for coming in so late with comments, I was away for a few days - I see just about everything was covered above in terms of critique.

Would love to see the puppies, have you any nice images of them? If so, bring them on

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post