Thread: Well Deserved Nap

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Well Deserved Nap

Attached Images Attached Images

These, most likely brothers, clearly recently had quite their fill of prey, note the extended bellies, and were sleeping soundly when we arrived after our guide was made aware of their location by radio from another guide. Once again it's hard to explain the emotion that wells up when first seeing a lion(s) in the wild. I kept myself together enough to capture quite a few images of them sleeping, rolling over, on their back, attempting to get up, and finally one did before we moved on. They are amazing to watch and I did not want to leave. Happily we had several more encounters with other groups of lions. C&C welcome.

Geoffrey

D500, Nikon 24-120mm @ 44mm, 1/2000s, F 6.3, HH, ISO 3200.

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - Sorry, but the flat cats image isn't working for me. The surrounding area does look lush but the content doesn't grab me. If this was your first wild lion sighting then definitely worth firing off a few and keeping it as a record shot.

Also, don't forget to give your thoughts on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to become part of the forum community and allows us all to learn from each other.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey I agree with Rachel that it doesn't grab the viewer. Nice setting and am sure this was pretty close. Hope you got some shots if they woke up.
    Cheers

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Geoffrey - Sorry, but the flat cats image isn't working for me. The surrounding area does look lush but the content doesn't grab me. If this was your first wild lion sighting then definitely worth firing off a few and keeping it as a record shot.

Also, don't forget to give your thoughts on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. It's the best way to become part of the forum community and allows us all to learn from each other.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Hi Rachel. No need to apologize. Not your cup of tea. As I indicated, I have many more images of them, but chose to post this first.

Regarding your reminder to give my thoughts on others work. Normally I do.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    Hi Geoffrey I agree with Rachel that it doesn't grab the viewer. Nice setting and am sure this was pretty close. Hope you got some shots if they woke up.
    Cheers
    Hi Sanjeev, We're running out of tea. Your wishes for me getting some shots if they woke up did come true. Thank you.

Geoffrey

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, it's not really doing anything for me either sadly, however this is what fat, sleepy lions do most of the time - nap!!!

What I do like is the fact you shot it wide to incorporate the habitat.

Overall the colour looks a bit thin and it's requires some more tonal range to give the image depth. Techs look OK, as they were sleeping on this occasion 1/1000 would have been fine and saved some ISO.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on other postings.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Geoffrey, it's not really doing anything for me either sadly, however this is what fat, sleepy lions do most of the time - nap!!!

What I do like is the fact you shot it wide to incorporate the habitat.

Overall the colour looks a bit thin and it's requires some more tonal range to give the image depth. Techs look OK, as they were sleeping on this occasion 1/1000 would have been fine and saved some ISO.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on other postings.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve. Again no need to apologize. Thanks for your suggestions.

Geoffrey

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, unless they are in open spaces where you can get something different ie detail, close up, feature/texture, then often it's nice just to view and put the camera down, but hey, what an experience for you. Hard to think Lions are getting close too or are on, the 'Endangered' species list.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Geoffrey,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with lions here on BPN Wildlife.

I realise how special this must have been for you. I still remember my first encounters with the species, fell in love with those beautiful creatures straight away (just like yourself) and kept going back to the wild searching for them. These days I like camping in Botswana because there are no fences. Even when I do not get to see lions as such, I pick up tracks along the road (sometimes around the tent too!) and I am happy, I just need to know they are there:) Happy to sit in the car and watch them sleep, happy to see just their ears sticking out among tall grasses, and yes - happy to take photographs of their paw prints in the sand. I have been living in Africa for some twenty-seven years and still have to contain my excitement when I get close to them:)

Regarding your post: reading your intro I did feel your emotion. The way you describe the encounter and your feelings "...they were amazing to watch and I did not want to leave..." is very personal and touches me. I think I love lions more than I love my photography... If you sent me this in a personal email I would surely live this moment with you, but I am struggling a bit with the critique because the image itself lacks the emotional content I am seeking. Having said this, I do like your thoughtful composition and inclusion of environment. Techs look good. I cannot wait to see more from you, let us have those other encounters?

Thank you for this post, as well as for your kind comments on my previous image. I am sure the other members would also love to hear from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They are magnificant beasts Geoffrey but they can be real slouches after feeding! I am looking forward to your shots with them up and about as, like the others who have commented, it's not quite working for me. Certainly worth retaining as a keepsake from the encounter. If you do, I'd revisit the tonal rendering as it looks a little flat and the lions look a touch washed out.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Again I see lots of comments but I am avoiding reading them prior to my post. The image looks a little on the pale side, almost as if a portrait mode had been used as the camera setting, you have good sharpness throughout the image, it lacks a little contrast and colour for me. The lions are doing what they do for 18-20hr per day so you have captured that but they are not very visible. This is the way it was, I appreciate that, but the primary subjects are not very visible, so the image is really engaging me too much. Sorry for being so negative hope this helps?

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses and tech suggestions. Here's a repost with a few tech adjustments, gamma, contrast, and as Glenn pointed out, the lions needed a bit of darkening.

Geoffrey

Name:  ©-2018-Geoffrey-Montagu_DSC7634•dd-L.V.-II-2-Lions-sleeping.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  580.6 KB