Thread: Belted Kingfisher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Belted Kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

I think these have to be one of the most wary birds I encounter locally and it is very rare that I can get close enough to capture a quality image of one. This female had just swallowed a minnow moments before this image and perhaps she was distracted by the effort to spin it around to swallow head first. I have that image but like the fluffed feathers she displayed here immediately after swallowing the fish. In any case taken at sunrise. 1/500, f6.3, +1 ev, auto ISO 1600, Nikon D500, 500 f4 E + 1.4III.

Attachment 175089
    Last edited by John Whaley; 04-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, like the weather beaten perch and being slightly angled, plus the framing of the subject, good you got some colour also in the BKG, nice 'strata'. However, to me the image appeared to have been under exposed judging on the main plumage and head, there is a lot of noise in the dark areas and so the image appears to have been 'lifted' to get detail and definition. I would personally have exposed for the subject (perhaps even +1 & 2/3, or even +2) and worried/dealt with the BKG in PP.

Good to see these birds.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Agree that the compression is not my friend here and that the IQ posted is not the best. It looks much better at full resolution. I do have frames that were captured after sunrise that I still have to process so hopefully the IQ will improve with more light.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 04-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, great head turn, and I like the high placement in the frame. I do like the pastel colours of the BG from the early light. Yes to some visible noise.

These guys show a slight resemblance to our Giant Kingfishers.

6. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do have frames that were captured after sunrise that I still have to process so hopefully the IQ will improve with more light.
    Will endeavour to lookout for them John, happy processing.

8. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose with good HA, and good perch. Noise is noted. I wonder if you have tried any NR on the bird? It can't work miracles, but might be worth a try since this is otherwise a nice looking shot. These are indeed very skittish birds. Using a car as blind at Chincoteague is the only time I've succeeded in getting close (you probably know the spot.)

10. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, previous comments noted, no need to echo them. Beautiful bird, nicely shown, love the perch and background. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

12. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed John. And that early light is very kind and shows off the kingfisher and perch so well. By the way, I think all kingfishers are wary birds, at least in my experience. Getting a nice clean shot of one like this is a great achievement. Nothing I'd change here.

14. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post