Thread: Splash

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Splash

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...hohoho
    I found my way back to here ..LOL.
    Been busy with other things ..sorry for my absence .Missed it to be honest.
    Coming back with a wet image contributing to this month theme , difficult to find one from last trip to Helgoland . As most of the stuff was going on, on the beaches during the pupping/mating season in dec last year .
    But here you go ....
    Grey seal bull emerging from the sea , following the female he had fun with in the surf .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp ; auto iso

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2018 ; slight crop from bottom and top

Hope you like it and thanks for the last comments to my latest posting

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, like the POV and framing, splashing water as the seal comes onto the beach. Would have preferred say 1/2500 just to freeze the head. Perhaps a sliver more on the LHS? Colour looks almost monochromatic, but I like the bit of colour coming through.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely detail and processing (as usual) on this, Andreas. I like the reflections on the rear of the seal too and the action conveyed by the splashing water. The only things I would revisit if mine is the crop which is a bit tight for my taste and the white balance which seems like an odd greenish blue to me but maybe that's how it looked? Oh, and welcome back! Look forward to seeing more work from you along with your thoughtful and useful comments.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image looks well focused and detailed to me. I have gone back to the image three times and I too keep wondering if there is a blue/green cast. I get the impression the Colour Temperature is a tad low.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Welcome back. Good to have you posting again. Lovely low pov and the splash adds a lot to the image. I too would like a sliver more room around, especially on the left. Yes, the image is cool with a lot of blue and green coming through but that may be indicative of the time and conditions. Interesting to see the open mouth too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it looks well balanced and reflective, if you take a mid grey point then all three channels are very evenly balanced, unless 0.5% makes that much of a difference? For me it has a lovely hint of Winter sun coming through, a slight warmth in the water.

Guys could it be a calibration issue?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not on my end, I just recalibrated a few days ago. Yes, there's some warmer light coming in particularly towards the rear of the seal and in the bg but there is a cooler look and blue/cyan tint to the white froth and to the seal's head. I don't think it is an overall tint to the image but more in parts of the image which is why I thought it might be indicative of the actual conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

there's some warmer light coming in particularly towards the rear of the seal and in the bg but there is a cooler look and blue/cyan tint to the white froth and to the seal's head
    So it could be 'reflective' colour perhaps?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - indicative and reflective mean the same thing in this context so yes, I said that in each of my comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back Andreas,tec bits well covered above, was it a dull day?great the way you have captured this with the splashing water and managed to keep the head clear,lovely shot.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi folks thanks big bunch to all of you who watched and commented to this one ...much appreciated .

To those who want to see more room around , well as said in the intro i cropped slightly from bottom and top . So no more room on LHS and RHS , and i am ok with the spacing on top and bottom .

The color issues ...you are seeing , are reflecting the realistic scene , well from my POV . Grey sky with a hint of sun as one can see in the seals refection . The pebbles are having a blueish color when looked at them with the naked eye ....
    So i do not see any issues , but as colors are subjective , i could have gone for a warmer WB , but decided to keep it cool .
    A faster SS would have been better , Steve , for that action .

Hope this helps .

Thanks again , Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, welcome back! A good image to start off again and perfect for the theme. I like the splash and the low shooting angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev ..much appreciated .
    Cheers Andreas