Thread: Chacma Baboon & infant

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chacma Baboon & infant

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 286mm, ISO 500, 1/500 sec f5
    ACR + PSCC

I got a few shots of this mum and infant,never got the ideal pose but I quite like this one.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I quite like it too and colors look good to me for green season. I really like that the youngster is doing its own thing and just hitching a ride on mom. I would prefer a little more room below and maybe a bit less centered with more to the left and some off the right but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, definitely more at the foot of the image and more SS, even if the parent has paused for a moment to look back.

I would run a sliver of NR on the BKG and control the greens more, there is more depth and detail there and adds to the layering. Agree on moving/changing the crop to have less to the RHS and if you haven't any below them a tad less above. Blacks and Contrast is hiding a lot of nice detail, even at f/5 , think f/7.1 would have been better. I would also 'dodge' the infants face and arm to get a bit more detail.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback, Rachel, Steve, you both have raised issues that had not occurred to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a real fun image with the little fellow riding on the adult. The details and sharpness are nice. agree with a bit more room below.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... those baboons are always fun to watch , they do offer a lot of photography opportunities .
    This is no exception , classy infant rider , great to see him being busy with something else .
    You got already good suggestions above for improvement , in which i agree and do not want to repeat .
    Hope you had a good trip and the 4X4 was good choice

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

No room below, a recrop, a little less contrast, some dodging and a little more contrast in the green channel at raw stage WDYT?

Good to see you're back Andreas. The Toyota Rav was perfectly adequate, the 4WD was beneficial but not absolutely essential, it just gave a little piece of mind and the slightly elevated window was useful. I would choose similar for next trip.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 04-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, the critiques so far have covered this well along with your self critique. I agree the crop and body angle not ideal but latter not a killer for me given mum is looking towards us. I quite like shots (eg for birds) where there is a look behind by the subject.That OOF blade of grass in front of the rear leg bugs me more but hard to avoid in these situations - if mine, I'd tone it down by selecting and playing with brightness and saturation. Detail and tone look good on the animals to my relatively untrained eye. Overall, I think the brightness could be lifted a little but agree on toning down the background and maybe desaturating there.

9. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon it's the repost for me just shows a little more detail on the face,love the little one on the top that looks like it's been bird nesting.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Jon it's the repost for me just shows a little more detail on the face,love the little one on the top that looks like it's been bird nesting.

Keith.
    Thanks Keith.... yes he does look like he's been nesting - little tinker!