Thread: All spears, no tears

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default All spears, no tears

Attached Images Attached Images

These guys caught me off-guard as I was busy shooting a secretary bird when they started their sparring contest. I would thus have preferred a much faster shutter speed but I reckon I did catch enough of the the short-lived battle. Levels & curve adjustments to reign in the effects of mid-day sunlight. Kgalagadi TFP.

D600 + Tamron 150-600 G2 @ 280mm.
    f/8 | 1/800s | 500 ISO | Stabilized on car mirror

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice situation ..I know that it wasn't the right light but the front for me is a bit too much overexposed

3. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The action is pretty cool. The light was not on your side. You did pretty good with this situation.

5. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobte ... stunning action frame , well it is so hard to work at that location during the bright time of the day .

As presented the image appears overproccessed and sharpness is not there , way more SS needed to freeze the action . Been there myself i would say colors are subjective , and your call . Highlights are blown in two channels .....so no detail can be in them . You need at least two channels with no blown highlights to recover them with a slow hand and some fine tricks

So i would bin this , and go back and try it better .

Just being honest , TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Tobte ... stunning action frame , well it is so hard to work at that location during the bright time of the day . As presented the image appears overproccessed and sharpness is not there , way more SS needed to freeze the action . Been there myself i would say colors are subjective , and your call . Highlights are blown in two channels .....so no detail can be in them . You need at least two channels with no blown highlights to recover them with a slow hand and some fine tricks So i would bin this , and go back and try it better . Just being honest , TFS Andreas
    Thanks for commenting Andreas and nice to see that you are still around! Yea I know - the dynamic range was just crazy as created by the midday sun on this pinkish soil (at 45C) and I have a few shots as proof of that! As mentioned by myself, the SS was certainly too slow as my intention was not to photograph this piece of split-second action. As far as going back - not sure if it's ever going to happen because I had to rent a 4x4 which made the trip quite expensive - but I'd surely love to!