Thread: Snowy Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another photo of a Snowy Owl. Taken last week in early morning light on Staten Island in New York City. The bird has the remains of a Horned Grebe in its talons. This was taken a few minutes after the other photo that I posted and the light was still warm and nice. Cropped to vertical. It allowed very close approach after it realized that I was not after the bloody remains of the grebe. Eventually I crawled away and left it where it was.

Canon 1dx mark ii, Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii F8, ISO 800, SS 1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A well controlled shot. Odd to see one in those surroundings when they are normally presented in snow. But they do have to live though all seasons!

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed, I like the colours and the pose. I think you could get even more detail in that white plumage if you apply a curves luminosity adjustment layer to the owl, bringing the highlights down just a small way.

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another beauty from your remarkable close encounter the other day. Well done.

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Image. I like the Eyes and the Light.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning capture, Isaac. Great look back and I like the warmth of the sand and that beautiful BG.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another great one -- love the detail, especially on the head and around the feet, and direct stare, plus the light and prey item. You really killed it with these owls this winter between this, the last, and the take off shot. TFS

13. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How the heck did I miss this?!?! This is great, Isaac! Exposure is perfect. Stalks around the bird perfectly complement and add interest to the otherwise clean BG.

One thing I don't miss from the Northeast is the annual birders vs. photographer feuds as centered on the approach of wintering Snowy Owls. Birders tend to get
    their underpants in a twist anytime anyone makes a move towards an owl, and a few inconsiderate and dumbass photographers give those birders exactly the
    ammunition they need to keep the debate going. I photographed a few Snowies around Boston, and I always did my best to keep a decent distance. When I did
    approach, like you, I crawled. Yeah, I occasionally spooked a bird but at least I made an honest effort. And that was when I'd walk 5 miles down the beach to have
    an owl to myself so that I knew 1,000 other people wouldn't be there. I also know what a sh*tshow it can be at either Breezy Point or Jones Beach. The worst are the
    fools who try to walk up to the owl as though the thing is in a zoo. I've seen that as much from people with 70-200m lenses as I have from people with 600s on tripods,
    but can't stand it either way. Being both a birder and photographer (and not yet having pissed anyone in either camp off) I understand the concerns. But birder need
    to chill out a bit and those few moronic photographers need to be called out on crappy behavior when it occurs.
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 04-03-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian you made me laugh for sure. The Snowy Owl mania is crazy. Every year the same thing, just as you described. I've seen all out wars about it. I've seen friendships lost, cops called and on and on. I never go to Jones Beach just so I can avoid the non sense from the birders and photographers. Brooklyn is just as bad. Breezy has not been as bad lately because people don't want to do the walk out and back. Also the beach is patrolled more by park police. I like finding my own birds and approaching them very slowly. Hardly ever have a problem that way. I was so close to one the other day that it was basically full frame. Took 25 minutes of slowly progressing forward on my butt. Really I was too close for a nice photo and retreated. Bird never gave me more than a sideways glance and spent 99% of the time with its eyes closed. I find these guys very difficult to get a nice shot of because if you are controlled with your approach then they don't open their eyes and look at you.