Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown Hare.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.81/800@f4
    iso 1250.

Not getting out much so having to find some pictures from the past,but must say it is getting more and more difficult to find Hares in my part of the UK afraid modern farming methods is finally taking it's toll on these beautiful and mysterious animals.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - Good to see you posting. It's shame to hear about the plight of the hares. Nice detail, tones and colors here. It looks like it was overcast. You did well getting the hare in the center of all the foliage.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely crisp image, I appreciate it is a different colour to the ones around here, is this common where you are Keith? The head and ears are well shown and the whiskers really stand out. The hare appears totally relaxed yet very much alert. I like the image, - very natural look to it.
    I have had similar problems here trying to find hares, in fact I have only seen two in the last two weeks - hoping to get mountain hare on Thursday - last weeks' trip was cancelled due to bad weather.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel will see if I can find some more and try to participate on the forum.Thanks Jon,re the colour as I see it on my monitor,would say it's just the way they are I have seen them very up close and actually handled them this is a true likeness,some that live on very sandy land do seem to have a colour that fits into there surroundings and also maybe a difference in winter and summer coats and the condition of the Hare..Good luck on the mountains.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith back again couldn't resist seeing another
    The detail is wonderful Keith, cool placement in frame too. It's cracking pose again I sort of feel she might move soon it's the ears up and maybe a bit of blur on front left Lovely detailed eye ,I like this one keith !!

I second the theory that these guys might be showing localised colour, adapting to their specific soil type........I might even go further i'm starting to wonder if my cotswold hares are just slightly different to more low land dwellers like the one's I see very very close to home,ok once in our garden. But much to learn yet as my eyes slowly hone in on these things. My close to home pop and my more numerous more "cared for" population have both been hit . The snow made easy pickings for lurchermen at the site where many of my images come from. I was very concerned for a while Keith,but despite losses extending to 9 in one field,they are still in reasonable number. Keith the farming there is sympathetic,although being a game shoot the hares are untouched. The farming although not organic is a wonderful demonstration of just how it,farming, can be done. Lesser more sparse populations with the modern farming you speak of can't sustain that type of loss. I think there is a combination of factors in play but essentially either this years weather has meant for some reason ,you John and I aren't seeing them . Or simply some of these populations are being pushed over the edge. I can barely find a hare at home Keith,I had a rare bit of time and walked miles in the snow,which is always a godsend to knowing who's about not good!!

lovely to see you posting mate

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu we are blessed if you can call it that by fields that can be up to 100 acres that are the worst place to live if you are an insect ,butterfly ,or mammal,sprays for insects and weeds as soon as one appears they are sprayed ,saw a Skylark to day and one Hare wonder if they will soon become rarities ,On top of this we have people riding over the fields at night with high powered lamps and rifles killing every thing that they see,Hare Badgers and deer,top this off with and ever growing Fox population that do predate young Hares,it's so sad.
    Enough of the old mans rant hope you are ok.

Keith.

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post