Thread: Lunch

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lunch

Attached Images Attached Images

A Kookaburra with a freshly caught Red-bellied Black Snake about 50 cm (2 ft) long. Not a very photogenic environment an not great light, but you take what you are given in these circumstances. I chose the crop (~30%) to show off the most snake detail and get away from the scrappy background.
    I was driving a country road and the bird was on the road having just nabbed the snake. It flew to where I photographed it and spent some time bashing the life out of the snake against the branch it was on. Did get some other shots when it flew to another spot, but it then flew away which was disappointing because it would have been good to see it attempt to swallow the reptile. I suspect it took quite a while.

1DXII 400mm F/2.8L II & 2XIII 800mm 1/250 f10 iso1250 HH

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like a cool encounter. The branch in front of the bird doesn't help. Still sounds like this was spur of the moment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great prey item, Colin and shame about the place it decided to land with this. You forgot to mention that red-bellied blacks are quite venomous. Light was on your side here as you note and lovely detail. I'd be inclined to back off the contrast a little on this one.