Thread: Lioness & warthog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness & warthog

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 l IS II ISO 1250, 1/1600 f8
    ACR + PSCC
    Taken in Kruger Park. The lioness looks a bit shabby! I think she was muddy after the tussle with the warthog but I see several areas where the fur has been abraded I suppose some of this too could be associated with the warthog,however some marks appear to be older. There was a large cub nearby it too was equally shabby.
    I have other more or less full body shots but this is one of the few where I had the eyes looking at me. I am happy with the colours, I think they are ok.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like the capture, but personally would have gone vertical and have more at the foot.

Not loving the overall colour it's moving in the 'orange' saturation, did you apply some Vibrance and so, like Tobie's image, some colours are muted and are bleeding into the overall colour palette.

Techs look good, but the IQ would have been better with the 1DX.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, I like the capture, but personally would have gone vertical and have more at the foot.

Not loving the overall colour it's moving in the 'orange' saturation, did you apply some Vibrance and so, like Tobie's image, some colours are muted and are bleeding into the overall colour palette.

Techs look good, but the IQ would have been better with the 1DX.

TFS
    Steve
    I am going to have a glass or two of wine, will have a look tomorrow! Yes you are correct in all respects, I really don't know why I am making such a pig's ear of colour balance on images taken other than UK. I have checked colours in raw ... but obviously changed them when adding vibrance, I was trying to get some green in the grasses but in fact they were very pale.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, it's all salvageable, do not get upset or worried it's an easy fix, shall we have a chat tomorrow or over Easter?

Cheers
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I am sure you will get your color issues sorted. Unfortunately, I agree that it looks off with a bit more orange and also the warthog looks very brown and I usually think of them as more grey (unless the head is saturated with blood and mud). On the comp I think I would have shifted everything a bit to the right so that there was more room to the rhs and perhaps cutting the body more at its middle. The eye contact, sharpness and detail all make this worth revisiting. I hope you'll also post one of the full body images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Fantastic sighting well captured! Killer POV and eye contact, nice detail here too. Pose is superb. Shall wait for your RP so no comments on colours for now

BTW that cheetah of mine you did some PP work on the other day looks stunning. I processed it today and found myself peeping at your version from time to time, LOL.

A glass or two of wine sounds good, enjoy your evening as well as the rest of the week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much everyone for the comments - and encouragement! Here is a rework, I think it is much better......thanks to Steve for pointing my eyes in the right direction!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks to Steve for pointing my eyes in the right direction!
    Perhaps it was purely down to a fresh pair of eyes Jon, but now you have done justice to the frame and I much prefer the tighter crop, focuses the 'engagement' IMHO.

No pressure on the next posting...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine image Jon, very dramatic and intense. The RP is better and takes this up a notch.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Nice job on the rp. Looks like you got the colors sorted and the crop works better comp-wise too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Jon - Nice job on the rp. Looks like you got the colors sorted and the crop works better comp-wise too.
    Thanks Rachel - you have made my day!!!

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post