Thread: Brotherly love

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brotherly love

Attached Images Attached Images

They were seperated for just 10 minutes but as the one brother walked up to the other, I knew that the typical cat greeting was to follow. It was still amazing to see it between two of the most powerful creatures on the planet though. Shot just after sunset in the Kgalagadi TFP, RSA.

Levels adjustment to increase exposure & photo filter applied to reduce a strong orange tint in their manes.

D600 + Tamron 150-600 G2 @ 600mm
    f/7.1 | 1/800s | 1000 ISO | Beanbag in car window

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Tobie,

Thank you for sharing this - it must have been very special, watching those males interact. And I notice with delight they are extremely fit and in great condition:)

Been wondering how far the D600 can be pushed in terms of ISO. I think it would have been ideal if you managed to obtain a higher SS, Tobie. I must say framing works well and I like the pose and especially body language - clearly there is a lot of affection between them and a strong bond that hopefully will last for many years. In terms of colour I feel the frame is a still tad too orange overall, could be a matter of WB ( I personally prefer to reduce saturation or vibrance than using a photo filter). Whites look good, blacks a bit strong in the gums and nose area, easy fix if you like. A lovely scene overall and I am glad you had such a wonderful opportunity during your stay in the Kalahari, hope to see more images from your trip

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie, in agreement with Gabriela, but also the image appears not sharp.

My thoughts on your previous image applies here too.

Like the interaction & bonding.

TFS
    Steve

4. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie - Nice interaction and great that you anticipated it. Gabriela and Steve have covered the critique well and I agree with the points and suggestions they made.

TFS,
    Rachel

6. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the composition, the affection is well demonstrated, the colours look a bit off to me, I have taken the liberty of changing them a little WDYT?

8. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the composition, the affection is well demonstrated, the colours look a bit off to me, I have taken the liberty of changing them a little WDYT?
    Jonathan thanks for commenting and your RP! This pink-ish soil is probably responsible for adding an orange cast to these beasts' bodies but your RP does not reflect the colors of the Kalahari lions - sorry mate! The dune right at the back comprises a red sand as seen in my OP.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie Schalkwyk View Post
    Jonathan thanks for commenting and your RP! This pink-ish soil is probably responsible for adding an orange cast to these beasts' bodies but your RP does not reflect the colors of the Kalahari lions - sorry mate! The dune right at the back comprises a red sand as seen in my OP.
    Ok Tobie, sorry I was unhelpful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Ok Tobie, sorry I was unhelpful.
    Not at all Jon - thanks, I welcome & appreciate that! I can understand someone else's reluctance in believing that these beasts simply look like this in Kgalagadi! I actually decided not to post any more of them as I'm going to go through the same explanations with each and everyone of them. I have actually double-checked on a Kgalagadi Facebook group and I find exactly the same phenomenon. I cases where the photographers tried to get the 'common' colors out of their lions, the surroundings were desaturated beyond reality.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie, just a thought - like many of us who try to help and post a RP we are working from the OP, therefore is there any mileage in sending Jon the RAW, he would then be working from the original like you, but may have some pointers to expand on for you then to take onboard and develop, process and post more from your trip/encounters.

Remembering Morkel's images they were never desaturated, but retained the pink 'hue' you are referring to, so it might just be some simple tweaks at the early stages of PP, worth a shot I think.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Tobie, just a thought - like many of us who try to help and post a RP we are working from the OP, therefore is there any mileage in sending Jon the RAW, he would then be working from the original like you, but may have some pointers to expand on for you then to take onboard and develop, process and post more from your trip/encounters.

Remembering Morkel's images they were never desaturated, but retained the pink 'hue' you are referring to, so it might just be some simple tweaks at the early stages of PP, worth a shot I think.
    Thanks for the suggestion Steve. With all respect: the pinkish hue is a result of attempts to remove the orange cast which is actually the 'real' representation of what the lions look like when seen with the naked eye. I think I'd rather bury this lion series and move on to something different. Thanks yet again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I'd rather bury this lion series and move on to something different.
    Your call Tobie, its a real shame, but to me the issue is the WB and resolving that, the rest would just then take whatever direction it needs too.

You have the eye for framing, something that can't always be taught, PP is the easy part as that can be learnt.

15. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a beautiful interaction captured, Tobie. I like it a great deal. I have read the exchange on colour and processing for this one. The original does look odd but I wasn't there so can't comment in any more detail than that. I certainly don't think you should stop posting these... unless you are certain nothing can be done to play with the colour. Of course, it is your choice in the end. Don't forget that our vision systems are very good at adjusting to the ambient light conditions. In essence, our vision auto-corrects for odd colour mixes and balances to a substantial degree. Take a photo of a scene in late afternoon light, for example. The camera version will usually look a lot warmer than the memory of the scene. As for other aspects, I'd place the two more centrally in the composition. I also wondered whether a bit more fine detail could be extracted from this. As I don't know you, I don't know what your experience level is or your workflow. So sorry if I'm off the mark here.

17. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    I have read the exchange on colour and processing for this one. In essence, our vision auto-corrects for odd colour mixes and balances to a substantial degree.
    Thanks for commenting Glenn! All valid points!