Thread: Groundhog(wood chuck)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Groundhog(wood chuck)

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 8/7/17 at 7:34PM. I see woodchucks all the time while photographing deer. One day i though why not take some photographs of them. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/80sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, like the POV and the way the subject is framed with the vegetation.

The image again for me appears saturated, especially in the vegetation, there is more you can get to help definition if you control this. It could well be very reflective of the time of capture, but I think controlling this does help the overall presentation. SS is way too low for HH and I doubt going to ISO6400 would have helped sadly. Backing off on a tad less Contrast and opening the Shadows does help, plus cropping to a 16x10 is better with less above IMHO.

A nice encounter John for sure and perhaps you can expand on getter better frames in the future, as it's nice to see other subjects posted.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Great to see something a bit different and I really like the surrounded by vegetation feel to this. I know Ithaca gets a lot of rain and the greens are probably realistic but agree with Steve with toning them down. They draw the eye away from the subject when they are this bright and vibrant. Agree with Steve on techs and other adjustments too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Indeed very nice POV and the groundhog is so cute Framing works for me. It's just a pity light wasn't quite on your side, I know you have a very steady hand but I too think 1/80s is not quite enough when shooting hand held:)

Wondering about the size of this little chap and would like to know a bit about behaviour - I think I will go ask Mr. Google!

If you have the time it would be nice to see an RP with less Contrast, especially on the muzzle.

Wonderful sighting of this adorable fellow, show us some more!

Have a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea