Thread: Coyote

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coyote

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created somewhere south of Ithaca, New York on 11/13/17 at 40PM. I forget where maybe West Danby or Spencer area. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium crop. Image made from vehicle.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    468mm
    ISO 1600
    f6.3
    1/500sec
    Last edited by John Mack; 03-23-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - I like the skulking pose of the coyote. I continue to be amazed that you see coyotes in the Ithaca area. I'll have to pay more attention next time I go back. The only "wildlife" I usually see is the Big Red Bear. I think you needed a bit more ss with the coyote on the move. If it were mine I would try to lessen the effect of the dark grass coming up from the ear. I would also probably apply a bit of NR to the bg.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I think the background is a bit bright and competes with the subject. Darkening the BG a little would lessen the effect of the dark grass that Rachel mentions. Try to brighten the eye a little. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks pretty good John. Looks like the coyote was getting quite close and great to get an encounter like that. Detail and tone on the coyote look very good to my eye. I agree with Rachel that some NR is needed on the background (and reduced saturation there too). I also agree that it could benefit from darkening the background as suggested by Loi. DOF looks reasonable but a little more wouldn't have hurt either and a higher ISO would help achieve that. I did enjoy viewing this frame all the same so thanks for sharing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the stalking pose John, but not the shooting angle, you needed to be much lower to get a more 'powerful' image. Again the colours look a tad saturated with some colours clouding/bleeding into the overall image. The image as presented requires more sharpening, but having more SS in addition would have helped, as the subject was moving. The FP looks more to be on the back of the neck rather than the head, or even closer to the eye, having the head sharp is key and so practice moving those FP around and track the subject from further away, this will give you plenty of time to compose the image, especially with a zoom John.

TFS
    Steve