Thread: Langur Scape !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Langur Scape !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ! Thankyou for your comments and suggestions on my previous post, much appreciated !

Here is an image of a very common subject in our Indian Jungles, the Langur . I opted for a wider frame to capture both of them were nicely placed at each end of the tree. It was a bit cloudy and hence tried to retain the feel of the scene as witnessed. I wished the one at the bottom of the frame had also looked towards the camera but i feel it still works . Would love to know your opinion .

DPP 4.5, CS6, WB, via/sat, clarity, selective colour, curves, sharpened selectively.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

1/1000 sec; f/4.0; ISO 1600.

I am not sure whether it qualifies for this months theme or not.

All your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It might be very common but this is a lovely image of the two, Haseeb. Nice that you were able to get them both fairly sharp although the langur on the right is starting to drop out a little. Not a big issue for me. Juxtaposition of the two langurs and set on the diagonal branch creates a great visual impact. Really nicely done. I like this one heaps. Also love the light especially how it plays on the lower animal. If mine, I'd be tempted to darken the background (but might be a bit fiddly and tricky) as it think it would make this even better. Thanks for sharing.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - I don't think it qualifies as an animalscape combining wildlife and landscape elements. I think it's just a wide shot of multiple animals. Nice to see the langurs. How far away were you? I think shooting multiple animals at f4 risks not having sufficient dof, unless they are in the exact same focal plane, though I am not sure how big a langur actually is and that too would be a factor. Too bad about the additional branch in front of the langur on the rhs but that's nature. I like the tail hanging down. Control of the blacks looks good. I hope you have more images of langurs. It would add to the diversity of the wildlife shown on the forum.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool. Like the pose on both of them. The diagonal branch gives the image a nice feel.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with John here Haseeb, I like the image and the diagonal of the branch, but perhaps a bit more below. As presented the posting doesn't appear sharp. I've taken it into LR and if I take Gabriela's image in too (for example) that is pin sharp and sharper than presented, so I'm still not convinced that the web is presenting files to their best, but that's just my thoughts. I'm not keen either on the DOF, if you have moved the FP to the outer points, sharpness will drop compared to the centre point.

TFS
    Steve

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the concept is good, but it is hard to do a wide shot with two animals far apart with a 500mm at f4. Where exactly was the focus point. The branch appears to me in sharper focus than the langur. Loi

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone ! well the FP is on the Langur at the bottom of the frame , it was one shot AF and recomposed for framing . I think i could have gone for say atleast f8 here .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve -- Do you mean to say that image after posting is not coming out sharp but is actually sharper ?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you mean to say that image after posting is not coming out sharp but is actually sharper ?
    Yes Haseeb, I don't think/feel it appears sharp, but this is 'perceptual', critical is IMHO at the RAW stage, is that sharp?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, I like the wide view and the diagonal perch with the foliage portraying our jungles. Agree with little more room below, TFS.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post