Thread: Tip Toe On By

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tip Toe On By

Name:  20180315_OM-D_2385-2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  368.5 KB,

While working on a group of gulls, this Black Bellied Plover cruised on by. I like the way the Plover seems to be tip toeing past the sleeping gulls and that it is right in the notch of the background gulls, so I though I'd see what you think.

Taken at Ft. De Soto, FL. Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK ii with Olympus 300mm and 1.4 telextender, HH @ 1/1,250 sec, f5.6, ISO 200. Uncropped, but I did remove some stones and shells from the foreground. Nik contrast/detail extractor at about 25% and sharpening on the Plover only.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like this one a lot John. The moment of capture is perfect with the plovers legs in walking/running mode and the bird in the notch between the gulls, as you describe. Sharp focus and excellent detail on the plover helps it pop from the background gulls. It might be possible to make it pop even more with some selective lighting adjustments (bird versus the rest). I also really like the look of the substrate in this with the blues, tans and greys. Overall it works well for me.

3. Thanks John Rowell thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A typical day at the beach! I like your description of it too. If you have more room top and left that would be nice in order to fully clear the top-most gull's head, and give more separation between the gull and frame at left. Quite a fun image.

5. Thanks John Rowell thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, this was full frame as shot, so unfortunately it would be hard to add canvas to the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn, I think you are right about making some selective lighting adjustments and will give that a try. Thanks.

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post