Thread: Taughannock Falls

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Taughannock Falls

Attached Images Attached Images

Had the forecast for clear skies so though i would try some astrophotography. These other photographers "light painted" this waterfall for me. I think they were just lighting the falls to focus on after this they didn't light anything else. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks triggered with a remote. Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye
    ISO 2500
    f2.8
    10.0sec
    WB 3600k
    Last edited by John Mack; 03-18-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi john

Strong image, but for me the falls are a little too dominant and 'stealing the show'. I would consider pulling the bright spot on the falls back a little. I also had a play with correcting the fish eye distortion and prefer it but I appreciate that you don't buy a fish eye lens to get zero distortion, and its your image, your vision.. Great place for Astro images..!

Don

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great idea John and it has come off pretty well. The first thing that hits me is that the falls aren't vertical and Photoshop tells me that they are just under 4 degrees needing clockwise rotation. Hopefully you have enough room in the original. Not sure that you can do anything about the spotlight except perhaps minimize the effect by applying the Levels slider to bring more of the surrounding cliff out. Good sharpness in the stars.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like what you were aiming for John, but do agree with Don on the waterfall being to dominant. Ideally low LED lighting of the entire gorge wall would give this image the lift it needs, especially on the left side of the frame where it is a little too dark