Attached Images Attached Images

Orlando Wetlands Park February 2018 approximately 5:15 pm
    Canon 70D
    Tamron 150-600G2
    Focal Length 600mm
    ISO 100
    F6.3
    1/1000

Image was cropped for a wider perspective, no cloning, Lightroom adjustments minor exposure, shadow, highlight, clarity etc.

The sun angle was not perfect(shadows); however, the scene was too good to pass up. A minute after the shot was taken, another pair of teal booted them off their perch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, I quite like this composition but I think widening the crop would enhance it. I'd add some more room above the Teal's heads and also to the right of the log.
    It's quite a contrasty image so if possible try to tone that down using the shadow slider in Lightroom. How do you find the clarity slider? I've found that it works well on mammals and landscapes but quite often leaves my bird photos looking too "crunchy", not seeing much evidence of that effect in your image so well done!
    I look forward to seeing more of your images, I've just joined too so we're both newbs at the moment!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike welcome to the forum. First if you could please post larger.
    This image seems to be a bit under exposed and the harsh shadow of the log on the drake teal is unfortunate.
    I would also cleanup the brown reflection in the upper right and remove some of the debris in the water. (if you want)

Thanks Tim

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tim,

All good suggestions. The shadow is a disappointment but not much I could about it.

Mike

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim,

Thank you for the feedback. Welcome to the forum.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting comments regarding removing the "debris". After reviewing both versions I find myself torn between the original version which I feel is more natural and probably best represents how the subjects actually appeared in nature versus the second cleaned up version which I find to be attractive but in an more artistic way. As a naturalist I find myself torn between too much editing and just presenting the subjects how you found them at that moment in time in their natural setting. Nice picture regardless.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In regards to debris....Do you want to document or do you want to try to create art. That is the question! And there is no wrong answer!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, Over time you will learn to pass up impossible situations and look for better ones. Been there, done that :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.