Thread: Gotcha!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gotcha!

Attached Images Attached Images

A few days back I shared an image of two jackals having a little squabble. It was entitled "Had Enough". I then promised to show you the scene where one of the protagonists got hold of a drowning dove, so here it is Needless to say I am unhappy about the man-made bits, especially the wall on the RHS of the frame. I even had to clone out a pipe or two, sorry! This "construction" is also responsible for that awful shadow in my previous image. Nothing I can do about it really, just thought it would be a pity not to share, if only to show you what I saw at those waterholes in the Kalahari last month:)

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 1000
    F7.1
    1/3200s

Hope you all have a fun week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the behavioural aspect here Gabriela and it illustrates well the 'scavenger' aspect of this subject, always on the lookout for a free meal.

I also like the warm light, what time was it shoot, but just wonder if you could get a bit more 'separation' in the colour... 1/3200 perhaps is a tad over, maybe 1/2000 SS, but it hasn't really hurt the image. Perhaps just a fraction smaller in frame, you don't say if it's FF, so maybe an alternative crop may work, but keeping the same proportions.

Needless to say I am unhappy about the man-made bits,
    It is what it is Gabriela, you can't change it, but agree, a more natural environment may have been better.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, lovely light on the Jackal, as it shows up the eyes, and the colours of his coat so well. Good DOF on the Jackal and his meal, and Im fine with the wall in the BG, as it is hidden mostly behind Mr Jackal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, this is a dramatic shot, the bird really adds uniqueness! The nice light and that eye illuminated takes this up a lot. I don't mind the wall.
    Cheers,
    Sanjeev

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - This has much better structure and detail. I too like the warm light and behavioral aspect of the image. Doesn't look like a very appetizing meal. Maybe it needs some peri peri sauce? I don't mind the wall either. While not ideal, it's not as bad as many man-made objects at some waterholes.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I lke the image I also like the colours and textures. The wall doesn't bother me one iota. I do feel the subject is a bit big in the frame - I think this aspect is especially relevant on images this size, the jackal is a bit of an eyeful if you get my drift.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for 'Part II' Gabriela and sorry for coming in a bit late (I had diverted my attention to Avian briefly). I concur with the comments already made about being a bit tight in frame... but I'm guessing you were avoiding other ugly man-made objects? If you hadn't pointed out the man-made wall, it would have taken me some moments to notice as my eye is drawn the the jackal and its catch. So, like Jon, it doesn't bother me. I like the shot overall, especially the sumptuous detail and well handled processing in that area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions:) I read everything carefully so here are some answers to your questions:

Steve this was shot at 06:33 am. It is FF. I can get more separation in colour of course, I admit not much effort went into this as I felt it wasn't worth the time and I was only going to share it for interest' sake. I guess the jackal could do with a bit more " punch " also.

Rachel I laughed when I read your comments, I could just imagine a bottle of peri peri sauce next to the jackal, on those rocks LOL - shall I clone it in?

Jon and Glenn, I see your point. Unfortunately I hadn't thought about it at the time...Was trying to avoid the man-made stuff. All I can do is add canvas at the top now, don't think it will make a difference though...

But the good news is, I think I got more jackal images for you
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I liked the moment showing the Jackal's scavenging behaviour and also the details in the subject. Lovely warm light to complement the scene .

Some of the best sightings in the wild takes place at man made waterholes .

Enjoyed viewing this one , TFS !

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are right Haseeb, those man made waterholes provide us with great opportunities. It's just that no one thinks about us photographers when they build them In the past they looked more natural - I am referring in particular to those in the KTP. It seems that every time they undergo repairs they end up looking more artificial and unsightly. I often wish I was in charge of maintenance work over there, I would redesign the whole lot
    Gabriela Plesea