Thread: 3D in Action!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 3D in Action!

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the morning of March 5, 2018 with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR lens, the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III, and the Nikon D850. ISO 400. Matrix metering -1 2/3 stops: 1/3200 sec. at f/6.3. AUTO2 WB at 7:42am on a clear day. 3D-tracking Shutter Button AF. The system activated a single AF point that fell on the bird’s face just below the eye. AF Focus peaking Fine-tune: +4.

From the Small-in-the-Frame AF Tips for Nikon & Canon blog post here. Learn about #D AF with Nikon, Large Zone AF with Nikon, and the new The Nikon D850/D5 Focus Fine-tune Guide to be published in about two weeks.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated (even the ones I disagree with) :)

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-15-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do not see an image or a link to an image?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Whaley View Post
    I do not see an image or a link to an image?
    Oops! Thanks John. with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow - That's beautiful. The calm water, ripples, soft reflection, smooth dark background and perfect pose all working together here. I especially like the composition and that you left the expanding ripples on the left side. I have never used the 3D. I have heard it eats batteries.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John, I am glad that I experimented in the situation outlined on the blog :) I doubt seriously that an AF mode would have any effects on one of those honker batteries or even on the smaller ones ... Live View and video, yes, but not an AF-area mode ...

with love, arti

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use AFC - Group with back button focus. My AF - On button is set to center + 4 points and the PV button set to single point. I know you don't use back button focus anymore but is what I am used to and as long as I put the focus points on the target the camera does the rest. That was not the case with my 7DII where I missed many BIF frames inexplicably even when I went back and verified that the center focus point was on target. I don't notice much difference in focus between the D500 and D850, especially now that I have a grip, although I do tend to use a higher shutter speed with the D850. If you can fill the frame with the D850 it does produce amazing detail. For now I am keeping both bodies and using the D500 like a poor mans 600mm. Shooting the D500 with my 500 f4 E gives me 750mm and with a 1.4III extender 1050mm without losing much IQ or having to buy the 600 f4 E.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 03-17-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, love the water in this shot and the colors really make the stilt pop.

-Tim

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird looks great against that dark water. Image quality of the Stilt even though it is small in the frame is excellent. Love the water drops and that light. This kind of shot is what viewing shorebirds is like. Sure sometimes it is nice to get more action or closer but I find this beautiful and perfect as is.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Whaley View Post
    I use AFC - Group with back button focus. My AF - On button is set to center + 4 points and the PV button set to single point. I know you don't use back button focus anymore but it is what I am used to and as long as I put the focus points on the target the camera does the rest. That was not the case with my 7DII where I missed many BIF frames inexplicably even when I went back and verified that the center focus point was on target. I don't notice much difference in focus between the D500 and D850, especially now that I have a grip, although I do tend to use a higher shutter speed with the D850. If you can fill the frame with the D850 it does produce amazing detail. For now I am keeping both bodies and using the D500 like a poor mans 600mm. Shooting the D500 my 500 f4 E gives me 750mm and with a 1.4III extender 1050mm without losing much IQ or having to buy the 600 f4 E.
    Hi John, Thanks. If it works for you,keep doing it. The beauty of 3D is that you do not need to constantly be moving the AF points ... I worked a bit with the D500 and the 2-5 and found it difficult to frame flying birds with such a long focal length ... See the blog post here.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My eyes glaze over with all this Nikon talk!
    Lovely image and I love the placement of the stilt.
    Good POV,
    Gail

13. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    My eyes glaze over with all this Nikon talk!
    Lovely image and I love the placement of the stilt.
    Good POV,
    Gail
    With images like this Canon's Right Large Zone would do just as well The big difference for me is with flight. But obviously Mr. Salem is doing just fine (but with an astronomically higher skill level than me) :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm surprised no one noticed the black triangle in upper left corner, due to image rotation. Apart form that everything looks great. I love the red iris!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I'm surprised no one noticed the black triangle in upper left corner, due to image rotation. Apart form that everything looks great. I love the red iris!
    Thanks Dan. That proves that my monitor is too dark :( It was fine till I calibrated it with two different gizmos. Now I cannot get it lighter not matter what I do :( :( The red iris took some nifty Eye Doctor work ... I almost made the blog post about that ...

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Mr. Cadieux, You have Dan sharp eyes. Thanks again. with love, artie

ps: the Magic Wand Tool must have missed the triangle and I did not notice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No problem Artie. I had one like that happen to me a while ago too!

19. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post