Thread: Leopard

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

I decided to go back through my files and processed this one from our 2014 trip to the Sabi Sand. You may recognize him because Steve, Allison and I spent hours with this young male leopard and both Steve and I have posted images of him before.

Canon 5D3
    300 II plus 2x III
    1/1000
    f6.3
    ISO 800
    Monopod from safari vehicle, cropped to 4x5 to remove some space from above, levels, curves, TK luminosity masks, selective burning, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel, I certainly recognise this handsome leopard and I think I even remember some of our discussions at the time:)

Love the expression here, very much. Beautiful detail, colours and tonality. Subject stands out so nicely against the blue sky.

Are those blood stains on the whiskers? The scar adds lots of character and I love the penetrating look - very well captured, composition works for me ( is it a big crop, BTW?)

Thank you so much for sharing and so glad you found some time to look through those folders, I bet there must be some images you haven't shared yet?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela. Not a large crop at all. Just some off the top to make it 4x5 ratio instead of 4x6. Shot vertical and width remains ff. Do you think it looks like a large crop with a reduction in IQ? It does look like blood on the whiskers but he was looking for breakfast so it must have been old.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No IQ loss at all, Rachel. Looks great. Was just wondering how close you were

Regarding blood stains: sometimes leopards catch small prey like a hare or a bird etc. and then need to go hunting again. Been thinking about it, having seen a number of leopards with blood stains on their faces looking for food and their tummies looked empty. They eat just about anything they can catch, some very small prey too like rats or mice. And I guess in some instances they have to abandon prey because other predators pitch up while they are feeding.

Just an interesting find: there is this tree near a waterhole in the proximity of Nossob camp in the Kalahari, and few years ago I saw three small jackal carcasses hanging on the same branch, quite high up. It could have only been a leopard...They were so neatly lined up, it was rather spooky. I guess the resident leopard developed a taste for those little guys and took them one by one as they came to drink.

Chat later Rachel, I am off to look for something to process now, something to entertain you

Warmest regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Thanks Gabriela. Not a large crop at all. Just some off the top to make it 4x5 ratio instead of 4x6. Shot vertical and width remains ff. Do you think it looks like a large crop with a reduction in IQ? It does look like blood on the whiskers but he was looking for breakfast so it must have been old.

Thanks again,
    Rachel
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent details here Rachel, love those eyes and the scar adds so much. composition works well & techs look solid.

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wasn't around when you posted the earlier ones so a pleasure to look at this. Beautifully processed and a really great nice portrait that creates a great virtual encounter. Without knowing what is on the left of the frame, I'd have left a bit more room to look into but a minor point.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- I certainly remember this frame and infact there was a comment reg the grass blade across its ear. Excellent details and loved those eyes. Framing works as well and the colours looks nice . All in all a fine image .

TFS !

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev, Glenn and Haseeb. Haseeb - That was a different frame from the same sighting but unfortunately that grass blade stayed in front of the ear the entire time he was on the termite mound.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, yes a nice encounter and he did like to pose.

Personally I do feel it's a bit tight, a bit more room all round for a head shot I think, or even just on the RHS, to ensure no clipping of the whiskers. I like the intense stare, little did he know that the warthog was right underneath him, or did he....

The Blacks in the markings are heavily clipped creating a heavy look to the portrait, backing off and some less contrast will improve things, did you pinch the Histogram in Levels. The highlights could also come down in parts I think, the whites aren't blown, but some brighter elements are heading in that direction with little tone. The blue sky creates a nice contrast to the overall colour. The shooting angle is perhaps a little steep and that might be because of the tight framing and kit, 300 with the 1.4 would I feel have been better.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, lovely angled pose, and I like the near eye level perspective. Sometimes shooting from a higher vehicle helps with shooting angles. Good detail on his face, and looks like someone took a swipe at his nose.

Not long before you need to recharge everything for your next trip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Stu. Steve, I never move the blacks in on levels but occasionally adjust/set the white point. This was when we rolled up on the termite mound so the steeper shooting angle.

Thanks again,
    Rachel