Thread: "Touch Down"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Touch Down"

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught this beautiful female Merlin coming in for a landing with this nice wings up pose last fall. It took quit a few attempts to get this one as the DOF @840mm is pretty limited and getting the wings on the same focal plane as the head is pretty tricky.

1DX---840mm---f6.3---ss1/3200th---ISO640---Handheld@8:45am---35% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave, Great shot, nice wing position, details, HA, BG, and the square crop works well.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't ask for a better shot than this. love the light and BG, the open wings add so much drama. If mine I'd tone down the contrast a bit...sweet light.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply awesome.
    I wish this was mine!No feather mites on her.
    Love the symmetrical pose and the alula's being so well seen.
    Whites are close to hot near the throat but, if you back off on the contrast a bit-as Arash suggested, they would probably recover well.
    Just wonderful Dave.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey David, I concur with all that has been said by others. Wonderful image, about as perfect as can be. I agree with Arash, a little less contrast. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and beautiful light. I love the tension, at that moment when she hasn't quite fully balanced on the perch, hanging on with the talons.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this one Dave. The wing position, background, details are all top notch. Whites look fine to me. As amazing as this shot looks here, the full res version is just leagues better. Your photos really are fantastic. Every one that you post is not only sharp, well exposed and with a perfect background, but they all have that wow factor that we strive for every time we go out in the field.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 03-14-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a wonderful image David. Great timing here. Merlin's are so quick that I almost never get the landing / take off, just the sitting. Great dynamic landing pose and smooth bg.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and critiques. I always appreciate them.
    To be honest I do not find this image to be contrasty in any way or need a reduction in contrast? It might be just a little bright white under the chin but it is not blown at all.
    As some of you may know, I am a stickler on White Whites. I can't stand muted grey whites so I always make sure they are not blown and are as pure as possible.
    I think that sometimes people see a clean bright white area on a subject and instantly think that it's hot when in reality its bright white in real life and not blown on the image.
    Not always the case but I do see many critiques on images that are claiming the whites are hot when in actuality they may not be.
    Its a very subtle thing sometimes to see and on some birds, like a harriers rump, there just isn't any noticeable feather detail. So what to do there? Burn it to a muted grey?
    No, its nice and white without much detail, just like it is if you had the bird in your hands. Not trying to be confrontational about it, just bringing up some things that I notice.
    Thanks again everyone
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love the pose on the bird and the sharpness throughout. Everybody wants to see all the detail in everything wether it's a bird or a landscape.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dave,
    what a frame, and such wonderful quality... Round of applause and WOWSA!!! You da rock star my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd say Touchdown! I think that folks are suggesting that you tone down the contrast a bit as I thought that it was a flash shot. Killer on all counts. I too like to defend my processing choices :) Not bad for Canon. What's with the sky???

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On my monitor it looks a bit contrasty I think it might be difference in monitor calibration and brightness setting.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I'd say Touchdown! I think that folks are suggesting that you tone down the contrast a bit as I thought that it was a flash shot. Killer on all counts. I too like to defend my processing choices :) Not bad for Canon. What's with the sky???

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie! Glad you like it.

No flash used, just nice intense So Cal lighting

That isn't the sky, thats a distant hillside. In my are there are hills in the BG and they create lots of different and interesting BG colors depending on your physical location and the lighting on the hills.

Thanks again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    Thanks Artie! Glad you like it.

No flash used, just nice intense So Cal lighting

That isn't the sky, thats a distant hillside. In my are there are hills in the BG and they create lots of different and interesting BG colors depending on your physical location and the lighting on the hills.

Thanks again.
    Thanks Dave. Sweet BKGR. Was there sun on the bird? Was the BKGR shaded?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    On my monitor it looks a bit contrasty I think it might be difference in monitor calibration and brightness setting.
    Thanks Arash, I think you are right. I was discussing that fact with a friend last night. Monitor to monitor brand can be a bit different and personal settings of brightness makes everybody see things a bit different depending on their monitor and settings.

Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Agree. As you know, I have been dealing with similar issues :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave, you always seem to capture an image just a tad better than the average Well obviously, this far better than an average shot. Very well timed to capture the perching moment with the raised wings. Love the eye contact, and I do like the detail and colours. I dont see any reason to touch the contrast, and if anything, I would have preferred a typical landscape comp.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Dave. Sweet BKGR. Was there sun on the bird? Was the BKGR shaded?

with love, artie
    Thanks again Artie

It was a very bright sunny morning so there was definitely tons of sun on the bird and Im almost positive that the hillside was in full sun too. Sometimes we can sit there with the bird in the viewfinder and watch the distant hillside get shaded by a oncoming cloud. It makes for a very cool and dramatic change to the Bg and it sometimes happens in stages as the clouds are moving in and out. You can get 3-4 different BGs in just a few seconds shooting the same bird on the same perch. Thinking about it, I might try to find a good example of it to post on the site sometime. A good example of how dramatic a BG can change the look of an image.
    Many times we have been shooting a beautiful scene and then the whole look changes in a second. Lots of times for the better making all the others that I shot for the lat 20 minutes look plain and mundane.

Thanks again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David,I see many incredibly images here,just looking at the images posted,makes one want to try harder. This one I find incredibly special,it's all those details one craves nailed andsome!!! Stunning bkg and unusual at that !! Coupled with a split angelic moment in a speedsters'life
    jaw dropping David simply so.
    cheers also for the dialogue...fascinating reading

WOW what an incredible picture,cheers for sharing David stunning work beautiful to behold,what a joy

ha ha you really do inspire me kiiddo,sorry for going on.

take care

Stu