Thread: Cheetahs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetahs

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Have not posted a big cat image in a while, so here is one from Mara last June. The angle and the in-coming pose was too cool to let go. The DOF may not be enough to get all in focus but I liked the alignment.
    Cheers,
    Sanjeev
    5D III
    500 mm II L
    1/2500
    f/8
    ISO 800

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I also like the angled line of the cheetahs. You could have dropped the ss to 1/1600 (and/or raised the ISO) and probably gone to f11 or so but I'm not sure it would have made enough of a difference in the dof. What I would have tried in the field was to get an initial image like you have here and then if there was time try a few different settings focusing on the middle animal. I understand why they use collars but I really hate what they do to the images.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Mmmmmmm, I like this a lot! DoF is spot on for me. Light must have been pretty harsh but you handled it well. Thinking I should suggest you try a version with a bit less space at the bottom of the image, see if it works better?

Powerful beautiful cheetahs, what a pleasure to look at them! Wondering if you can extract more detail on the face of the first one, without making her look odd? I am struggling with the same issue with a cheetah image taken in poor lighting conditions - I want that natural look ( consistent with the light, or rather lack of it) , but at the same time need more detail

Glad you shared this, I think you should look through those folders more often and share:)

Have a lovely day,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- Great to see you posting and a lovely frame , gives the feel of Mara. I liked the lined up pose and light has been handled nicely . I too feel you could bring out more details from the first Cheetah. Agree with Rachel reg the collar , but nothing you could have done abt it .

A nice frame . TFS !

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this - a lot! The colours look very pleasing and I like the ghostly wildebeest in the background. The recession on the cheetahs is very pleasing. If it were mine I would have added a little canvas to RHS.

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, even more cheetahs in your archives. I will have to get to that part of Africa one day. In the meantime, I'll just have to sit and look in envy. I'm not bothered by the limited dof and don't think stopping down would have helped: there is too much separation to get them all sharp. Like Gabriela, I would take a bit off the bottom. I'd also try to soften that harsh light a little more by playing with the highlights and shadows. The oof wilderbeest? in the background raises this one a few notches for me.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, I personally much prefer this image compared to your recent posting.

Love the line of the three Cheetahs, great to see three Chetahs and the Wildebeests are just enough to give context to the image. DOF looks perfect, although I think the WB is a tad off and you could afford a bit more ie +0.20 on the Exp. I appreciate the radio collar, but in an ideal world without it would have been better. For me the image looks balanced with enough space all round. The techs are fine, ISO800 isn't a problem and zero noise, I would have shot as per your settings.

Sanjeev, just tweaking the WB, Blacks/Contrast, Tonal Curve, a touch of saturation I think helps the image overall, you are almost there. As an alternative and to provide another POV I did loose the mound and one Wildebeest, but just to provide another option.

TFS
    Steve

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, agree with your tweets and it has upped the image most certainly. And the clean up has also enhanced it subtly. Many thanks for the advice. Am headed to Serengeti this June, hope to get better and better.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, you are most welcome.

The tweaks are simple, the 'manipulation' is a matter of choice and your own ethics.

Am headed to Serengeti this June, hope to get better and better.
    Yes I remember you saying you were a few months back and so Sanjeev you are creating some nice work, I just feel perhaps now is the time to being more consistent and thinking ahead.When I say think ahead, there maybe times when in taking the shot you also think about the PP too, so you can be 'creative' at times too, don't just press the shutter, that is just the starting point. Yes, there are always times where we do things 'on the fly' or 'in the heat of the moment', but you have the tech stuff mainly under your belt, so it's just reducing simple errors and the framing aspect, think back at that series of leopard shots you shared, some outstanding work there. To me, it's all about building on that last image, trip, encounter and constantly honing those skills and using the technology of that camera body to maximum effect, but you have to drive it.

Drop me a line at some point re the kit you are taking.