Thread: Common Redpoll in flight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Redpoll in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Isaac posted a similar image a couple of weeks ago. Isaac's image had the wings up position.
    This is a very heavily manipulated image because I selected the bird and moved him back into the left of the frame and then cropped to remove the feeder on the right.
    Mostly an exercise in patience and using photoshop.
    Canon 1DX 600mm and 1.4 x
    SS 1/4000 F 6.3 ISO 1600.
    The BG looks like it has a magenta/purple cast but these are alders and blackberry branches so the color is fairly true.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail
    Last edited by gail bisson; 03-12-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a fine shot Gail, well exposed and nicely processed. My only suggestion would be that if you had similar circumstances try f8, the DOF would have been that little bit deeper, I am sure 1/3200 sec would be ok - but nothing wrong with 1/4000 .

3. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice dynamic pose but the head is quite soft and the whole bird looks a bit crunchy and contrasty, not much you can do when the RAW is not tack sharp. Not up to your standards to be a keeper in my honest opinion

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

5. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose on the bird. Love the idea behind these type of shots. Wish the head was sharper.

7. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Gail,
    This has a WOW factor for me, such a wee little bird and you captured him with a wonderful sweeping wing position. I do not see where the bird is either crunchy or contrasty. Sure more dof in hindsight and perhaps selectively sharpening the head, but all in all a thumbs up for effort and definitely a keeper until the next one. Processing looks superb.

9. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it a lot as presented. Assuming the AF was active at the moment of exposure what AF Area Selection Mode were you using and where was the selected (or active) AF point? My only suggestion would be to brighten up the head and face just a bit.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Gail. I didn't get any keepers with the wings forward like this but Don got one also. I had the best success at 1/5000 or 1/6400 but 1/4000 should be enough as well. Details look good to me but the head would benefit from some more sharpening. But I imagine that you would have been better shooting at f8 to get more of the bird in sharp focus. On my phone this looks good with the head just out of the depth of field. On the 5k iMac the details don't show as well.

13. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post