Thread: Vervet monkey

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Vervet monkey

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D III ISO 3200 1/640 sec f8
    ACR & PSCC
    Despite waiting I never did manage to get both faces in the frame simultaneously...... I'll just have to go back and do it again!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - A tender moment. I just hate it when they won't cooperate. The vertical comp works. Overall the monkeys look a little thin and there's a magenta cast, particularly evident in the monkeys and the log. Easy fixes if you are so inclined.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Very sweet scene, love it. I personally do not feel the need to see Mom's face at all, all focus is on the youngster and he has all my attention

Well composed too and I like the log, helps frame the subjects so nicely.

It's just the colour cast Rachel already mentioned, once you fix that it's perfect IMO

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- I liked this one , lovely tender moment , and as Gabriela said the little one is the main subject and lack of eye contact from the mum is absolutely not a problem. +2 with the colour cast , also to me the back of the mum appears on borderline of crunchiness, but still not a deal breaker. Very nice image . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Jon. I'm also not bothered by not seeing mum's face. Placement of the monkeys a third in from the right works well, with mum's gaze off the left. If mine, I'd revisit the composition as that oof vegetation in the foreground is distracting and made more obvious to my eye by including more of it. Lovely shot all the same. Where from? Kruger? Definitely go back for more!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, WB again is the issue, albeit I know you had issues with the recent upgrade.

Once you get that sorted, a quick Lumo mask, tweaks some colour and get a little more tonal range between your whites & Mid Grey I think you'll be there. Removing the leaf on the fur helps, but your call, the FG vegetation is what it is. I assume you shot with the 100-400, I would have perhaps then shot with the 500 & 1.4 for a close up and if Mum turned to camera also. Going tight may have created a better, more 'intimate' capture, but easily said with hindsight. IQ would have been better with the 1DX, no question, rather than the older 5D3. Having the engine on (running), may have added to any additional vibrations.

TFS
    Steve