Thread: Crested Barbet

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Barbet

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of my captures from Botswana where the Barbet was jumping around, up against a tree trunk one second, then to a branch and was obscured by a twig. At least he posed for several seconds and gave me a few different head turns on this branch. In addition I was twisting around, trying to get a clear view. A lifer for me. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 440mm, 1/1600s, f 6.0, ISO 1000, HH

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 03-10-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, these are great birds and I remember the excitement when I first saw one myself. Getting the whole bird against the dark background trunk is a plus although the partial obstruction caused by the perch is not ideal. From my very limited experience, these birds seemed to prefer plenty of vegetation around them so I think you've done well to get a relatively clear background. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff, congrats on your lifer, and I agree they are busy characters and pretty noisy when being disturbed harassed.

Not to make you jealous, we normally have breeding pair in our garden every year. These guys frequent our garden on a regular basis.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn and Stu. Glenn, I recall having to push myself the last few inches I had to get the tree trunk completely behind the bird. Stu, I'm envious that you have a nesting pair in your back yard, and I'll never forget my excitement, and feeling of luck at first seeing this species. I also find it hard to contain the excitement when friends ask me, "How was the trip?". I'm sure we each have similar degrees of thrilling bird photography moments in our travels, but your part of the world.......well, Stu you know, not only endless species of birds, but the rest of the animal kingdom. Yes there are other places in the world you can be photographing a bird, and you realize you're not alone, but to be photographing Grebes and geese on a large pond/waterhole surrounded by Mopane trees (one of elephants favorite leaves to eat), and you spot a few elephants, then a few more and before long there are large numbers passing our vehicle not 10 feet from us. The only thing I can say is, you have to be there.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu