Thread: Barred owl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barred owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this last month. We went to a park where a pair of barred owls were known to be. As we walked around looking for them, we started calling with our own voices "who cooks for you". The guys were way better than me! Well, within 6 or 7 minutes this gal/guy flew down to this perch.
    Not baited.I just love his /her big furry feet!
    Canon 1 DX 600mm II
    ISO 1600 SS 1/160 f 6.3
    PP: Shot as a vertical and ~85% FF. Usual LR sliders and NR to BG, levels, DE/TC at 10% to owl.Cloned branch out to the right of owl.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the lush rainforest setting. Great perch, and the ferns in lower left really add a lot. Excellet BG too, and the details are sharp as expected. My preference would be for the head tilted down rather than up, but I am sure you have all the various head angles covered from that encounter.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

Colors are outstanding, like the framing of the trunk and branch, feet are cool.

Head angle was the only real concern here. If he was looking down a bit, the apparent shooting angle would be even better.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Daniel Cadieux;1180083" but I am sure you have all the various head angles covered from that encounter.[/QUOTE]"
    Sadly, this is the best HA I got. There were ravens in the canopy above him, so he was watching them, and then he was gone within 30 seconds. I do have a direct gaze when he had his back to us but I liked this one better because of the fuzzy visible feet.

5. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Its a keeper for sure despite the ravens distracting this wonderful Barred... The habitat is gorgeous and love the feet, fronds, and ferns... Nice job on the exposure with the whites and the low light, the greens look so lush, TFS, well done Gail. And i really like your new signature.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply a brilliant capture, Gail. Love the soft light, and all the rich greens. Like how you called them to a lower perch. Don't mind the head angle at all.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So good! I've seen many of these in New England but never with such a nice
    clean and green BG. Perch really make this shot . Upward gaze is cool as it
    makes us wonder what up there is holding his/her attention.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one Gail. The bkg greens really contrast well with the owl. I actually like the "upward look"... gives him ? a philosophical look. :) Be well -

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    "
    Sadly, this is the best HA I got. There were ravens in the canopy above him, so he was watching them, and then he was gone within 30 seconds. I do have a direct gaze when he had his back to us but I liked this one better because of the fuzzy visible feet.
    Thanks for the explanation Gail. The image works better with that understanding!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great setting with the perch,nice behaviour of vigilance ,detailed plumage and forest feel has made this an excellent shot Gail!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is difficult to get this guys in places with good backgrounds. The perch is fabulous. You did a great job! Good capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty of a shot, Gail. I love the lush green fores bg, and the mossy branch. It's not unusual to see them scanning the skies, so the HA works fine for me. Lovely colors.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely work. Yes, those feet are really wonderful. The dark background really makes this work well. As usual, you have great detail and the tone and colour are all beautifully rendered in you processing of this. That oof fern in the lower left is a minor blemish to my eye but nature is never 'perfect'.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very pleasing image. I love the smooth dark background and the moss covered perch. The composition with the lhs framed by the moss covered tree is perfect and for me the best part is the pose. I have spent hours watching owls this winter and I find them most interesting when they are interested in something other than the photographer. You can tell that this one is engaged with something by the ha and body position and for me more compelling that the traditional direct owl eye stare.
    Last edited by John Whaley; 03-11-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, great sighting and love your intro on how he came to perch for you. Nicely framed in the fork, and I do like the greens of the lichen/ferns on the branches. Yes to those bushy legs/feet.

I think next time I go KF shooting, I will call out - " who wants a fish "

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Gail this is great. I think I looked at it a while ago on my phone but looking at it now on the big screen it's really captivating. Love the green tropical forest surroundings and the details and exposure look spot on too. Dont mind the upward gaze. Glad you did so well in BC.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com