Thread: Low altitude bomber run - common loon take off

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Low altitude bomber run - common loon take off

Attached Images Attached Images

This common loon was captured last summer, taking off at a small Northern Michigan lake. I have shown other images in the past as a loon has splashed across the lake, trying to get airborne. In this one he has actually taken off, but they gain altitude very slowly, and often have to bank and make a circle around the lake to get enough altitude to clear the tree line. I liked the splashes, spray in his wake, and the dramatic lighting.

D810 600VR 1/1600s f/7.1 ISO 400

Post: modest crop for comp. Selective sharpening of bird. Cleaned up a few spots in water. Softened the bright white reflection as it leaves the frame

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you that I like the splashes and the dramatic lighting.Good incoming pose and appropriate title!
    Good image for a pano crop.Very sharp especially considering the loon is flying towards you.
    I would have liked a full wings up pose but I still like this very much.
    I like the very calm water and clean BG.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm really liking this Randy. I can here the action as I look at the splashes and spray. If anything I wish the red in the eye was more visible. Fun image that makes me yearn for those early mornings at the folks' cottage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the action here Randy, pano it is, the water splashes are so important in this composition. Wonderful again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, this is all about the splashes, but they are just a bit peripheral to the frame to really own it. Much of that
    is the angle at which the bird is approaching, but this is a really good result regardless.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice head on take off action caught in playful lighting and nice trail of splashes, a very dynamic loon image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dorian: for me, the splashes are just part of the story, not the main subject, so I am fine with them being off center, to imply a line of flight coming in from out of the frame. In reality there are is often a long series of splashes in the take off process, just can't show them all in a normal frame.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton