Thread: Hippopotamus

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hippopotamus

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II ISO 3200 1/640 sec f5.6
    I took this at Berg en Dal in Kruger Park, he was just rambling very slowly then suddenly decided to make a run for the water, I would have liked to increase shutter speed but it was a case of grab it while you can. Having said that he was coming more or less in my direction so the speed wasn't too bad. I have several images in the series but I think this was the only one with the mouth open.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Welcome back. I'm looking forward to seeing your images from RSA. Nice action with the bit of splash. I am guessing that you could not get a lower pov. I do wish for a bit more below to have the full reflection and a little extra room but we've all done similar in the field. If it were mine I would reduce the cyans in the water but you were there. I find them drawing my eye though. Also the hippo itself seems a bit dark, raising the exp. slightly on the hippo brings out a bit more detail.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon!

I see you've been to Kruger Park - has it been a good trip in terms of sightings and did you enjoy your stay?

Cool sighting here with the hippo running towards you, mouth open and all I think it's pretty sharp for 1/640s and I love the "commotion" here and water splash - super timing!

In terms of comp I would crop from the top quite a bit if this were mine. I gather your intention was to give a bit of "background" of the situation, showing where the hippo is coming, or running from. I would try put more emphasis on the subject instead, if you know what I mean.

I personally feel there's a bit too much blue in the water, especially on the RHS of the frame - not a big issue though, let us see what the others say. Hippo is supper cool, nice detail, love to see the teeth, looks like a mean fellow and I wonder what was he up to...

Many thanks for sharing Jon, I cannot wait to see more from your trip. I enjoyed viewing this frame

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, Gabriela I agree entirely with your comments, on reflection I cannot understand why I didn't notice the blue colouration in the water. The position from which I took the image was not negotiable, I was having a beer at the time in the camp (oh yes it was tough!) and the hippo suddenly became active, I was on a path behind a fence in an elevated position, I got as low as I could.
    (I forgot to mention in both images I also took some blue out of the hippo).

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon!

Mmmm...I take it you had a "tough" time in the Kruger LOL RP much better IMO, water looks more natural. And I personally like the new crop, it somehow changes perspective.

I understand what you mean about POV - had the same issue while there some time ago, great action in places but just could not get any closer to the river. Hope you had a great time nevertheless, and some predators in sight as well as ellies !

Thank you so much for taking the time to revisit and for showing us the RP, hope you have a wonderful week-end Jon!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Jon. Hope you had a great time in Africa and look forward to seeing more from the trip. The repost of this is a significant improvement in both composition and colour. Looks like you might have added a bit of rotation too. The original did look slightly lopsided to me but I think it was simply because of the moment at which you caught the frame. The SS has worked fine here from what I can see. Personally, I wouldn't want to be any closer or lower given the charge this animal is making but understand the POV comments from others. Keep them coming!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the splashing water here. Like the composition of the second post better. Don't mind the blue in the water.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a nice encounter for you, hope you didn't spill or lose any of that beer in the heat of the moment...

Definitely the RP is an improvement, but again I feel the image was under exposed originally and the WB in the PP way off. Both images look thin and lack the depth/pop, you have it there Jon, you just need to pull it out. Techs, well as it was more of a reaction/grab shot you did well, yes pop the ISO to 6400 (no problem for the 1DX) and yes bit more SS, however here I don't think it was that crucial. Not sure if you have changed anything in your 'sharpening' stage, but the images I have seen look a bit more pushed, perhaps it's down to the original files Jon, please let me know.

Jon, I took the RP and just tweaked it, WB, reducing the Blue and getting some more depth back in, more evident in the water/bow wave, no additional sharpening applied, but you can see how much more detail/clarity there is and gained just from some basic changes.

TFS
    Steve