Thread: Iclke mate: Longtailed tit mouse: Aegithalos caudatus UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Iclke mate: Longtailed tit mouse: Aegithalos caudatus UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Ok I know ,I can't help it I adore them,who wouldn't one of natures "is that real?????" birds.........
    An incredibly long tail an outrageously small beak,and their behavious to boot. They flit around in tight little family groups they make nests out of moss and spiders webs,it's a dome with a little hole,they have lots of kids. So hey have designed and built a nest that stretches as the brood grows,but keeps them pretty much enclosed and safe from prying eyes. They roost all on the same twig every night same place

They are flightly little guys for most,but this family that stays in place over generations,is probably why I am able to stand with no hide while they visit our feeders,so they are baited in some ways. But in reality this little group bounce around with little care of me,i've probably known some since they were tiny things. Our feedesr have to be around 3m away for the 400 DO to function ie min focus,but they come so close now,I regard them as friends(hence title) They will land and stare feet away.Utterly enchanting,a good word I stole I've used their older name the one I grew up with,normally folks call them long tailed tits here now.

We don't have much snow here,it was a joy to play ,sadly I'd left it a bit late light was at a premium,i'd been out all day looking for hares or deer,but sadly no joy.

Processed firstly in dpp then a bit in PSCC. I rarely venture here i'm more an ETL guy,but this little fella is one I thought you might like to see and it's a first for me to get a chance with them in the snow,so a tiny bit special for me.

Canon 1Div 400DO is ii 1.4extii full frame uncropped
    1/ 640
    f5.6
    ISO 6400

Fella has two feet all is well, it's cold hence also the feathers up,but they seem to have got through ok, thankfully It's been brutal here for our birds this last week, my time at the feeders also limited because of this I wanted the shy guys to get full too !!!!!!!

Thanks for reading/looking

take care

stu
    Last edited by Stuart Philpott; 03-06-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Title should read ICKLE,me and letter,it will never change my humble apologies

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu:

Too cute indeed. The small face, tiny bill, puffed up feathers, looks more like a caricature than a real bird.

Snow in the air, well scaled perch with lichens, soft background, all good.

I might try a version cropped in from the right a bit, but personal choice really.

Please feel free to visit Avian whenever you
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love birds in the snow and shooting in the snow. Like the pose and the direct stare.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty scene here. The bird looks good and I agree that they are crazy cute. Background would benefit from some noise reduction.

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The shallow plane of works well here since he is staring right at us. You can't really ask
    for better subject interaction.

9. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Stu. Love the stare and the colours are spot on. Nice perch and the snow adds so much. The BG shows the bird real good. Standing on one foot, the other keeping warm . I can see that light was limited, so well done on that ISO, especially with a 1D Mk4. Hope the bird survives that Beast from the East, we just had.

Well done Stu, hope to see more.

Will

11. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Stu, hope to see more.

Will[/QUOTE]

Thanks Will, I'm sure you know these guys well ,yup I know on the foot

All good buddy I don't think we lost any,it's hard to tell, as I can't pin down an exact number in this family,it's somewhere around 10. The least dominant roost on the outside,they are always the first to suffer when it's this hard for them,but somehow they all seem to have got through,this exceptional weather event we have just had.

Cheers for the encouragement,i'm so pressed,I haven't even shared my goldies with you,one day buddy The most important thing is the images keep being made,

thanks guys

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Stu!

Great to see you posting here! I think I must join you in the Avian forum one of those evenings, not sure I have such cuties in my folders though.
    Love the eye contact here and pose from the subject. Well composed. And well done in pushing the ISO, would have loved more DoF and more SS but clearly you did your best under the circumstances buddy, so no complaints from me A tad of NR would benefit this image, if you can find the time the time to go back to this frame.

Stu, happy to see you having fun with your gear, keep up the good work my friend, looking forward to see more from you!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey ho sorry guys I tried to multi quote,to thank each individual and I have only left a reply for Will, more apologies,my bad i'll try again soon .....not enough hours in the day at the moment

Heart felt thanks both for the kind words and the critical points especially

take care all

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Stu:

Too cute indeed. The small face, tiny bill, puffed up feathers, looks more like a caricature than a real bird.

Snow in the air, well scaled perch with lichens, soft background, all good.

I might try a version cropped in from the right a bit, but personal choice really.

Please feel free to visit Avian whenever you
    Randy,I wanted to stop back and reply again,thanks for the warmth,I'm so in awe of ,well honestly pretty much everyone on this forum,and also know how much I have to learn,plus time pressures. I will try to visit you guys more with posts rather than comments.

Isaac cheers particularly on the NR i'm hoping to get neate image shortly but need to spend a while on the basics of PS first.

John Dorian thanks guys

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Stu!

Great to see you posting here! I think I must join you in the Avian forum one of those evenings, not sure I have such cuties in my folders though.
    Love the eye contact here and pose from the subject. Well composed. And well done in pushing the ISO, would have loved more DoF and more SS but clearly you did your best under the circumstances buddy, so no complaints from me A tad of NR would benefit this image, if you can find the time the time to go back to this frame.

Stu, happy to see you having fun with your gear, keep up the good work my friend, looking forward to see more from you!

Kind regards,
    Hello you, hope you have a great weekend and are well

Gabriela I'm so thrilled you saw my ickle mate,OMG you would love these birds in the flesh they are so adorable and such lovely little folks too boot.

I'd love to see some of your birds,and how you make images of them,you are so gifted so able to capture emotions it would be fascinating for me.

yup the light was at a premium,no where to go really,I don't feel I can push the iso much higher,with my tools,but that said all the help from Steve Rachel and the gang have made me feel comfortable at these isos,which is an absolute godsend here in the UK

many thanks

stu