Thread: Welcome Swallow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Welcome Swallow

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a photo taken yesterday. I've been trying to take on board the suggestions given previously regarding eye level, HA and sharpness. Hopefully I've achieved that with this shot. The "perch" is not ideal I know. AV mode, f6.3, 1/500th sec, iso400. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am so pleased to see you learning.
    The POV and HA are indeed very nice.
    IQ on the swallow is excellent.
    I like the nice clean BG.
    I would not be afraid to go to an ISO of 800.Your camera can handle it. I am RARELY at an ISO of less than 800 and usually at 1600 because of our cloudy days here in Nova Scotia.
    Bumping your ISO gives you more possibilities with DOF choices ( important for close up portraits) and SS for flight and behavior shots.
    If this swallow had been on a pretty perch you would have nailed the image.
    I think the image could go a bit brighter,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail. Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. I upgraded from the 7D to the Mark 2 in part due to the better high iso performance...but I guess I'm still "locked in" to the "get as low an iso as possible" rut. However, I have found through trial and error that I can use a much higher iso if the exposure is good and not underexposed. A case in point here is when I photograph male red-backed fairy wrens that have mainly black bodies. I have to really expose to the right as much as possible otherwise the photo is underexposed for the body and lifting the shadows in pp results in really bad noise. Cheers.

Quick question: What is your opinion on the 5D Mk4 and 600mm lens vs 1DXii with the 600mm lens (for static and bif)?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Gail's critique here. Detail on the bird looks quite good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking better Paul. I literally thought exactly what Gail said. Image quality is nice. Perch not so much. You can up your ISO and just learn to use a good noise reduction software like Neat Image.

Re your question on the lens and camera you can't go wrong with either, but the 1dx 2 will beat the pants off of the 5d4 for action. Focus system is better and the 14 frames per sec will greatly up your chances of getting the most dynamic wing position and catching peek action.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I echo everything that others have said. 7D2 can handle ISO 1600 just fine, provided you don't have to crop
    into the frame too much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good crits by the group. Nice details and exposure though. A little thin so adding to the mid tones would help too. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all.
    Isaac: I have been using a noise removal plugin for ages, but will start to use a higher iso when necessary. Thank you for the camera info.
    John: Unsure about "quite good" for detail...what do you suggest to make that "excellent" detail? (Seems very detailed to me)
    David: Will follow up on the mid tones. Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul,
    I am late in responding to your question but in terms of performance the ! DX is the way to go especially if you are interested in BIF shot. But I do love the 5D MKIV for its touch screen and it is so much lighter than the 1 DX. If you do mostly static bird photography the 5 D MKIV is excellent and a lot cheaper. Both have excellent IQ.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gail.