Thread: My form of painting - common loon on windy day

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My form of painting - common loon on windy day

Attached Images Attached Images

This common loon was imaged last summer on a windy day in Northern Michigan. Staying with the birds and keeping properly lined up when the wind is substantial, is a challenge. I may have to start bringing a pilot along to drive the boat while I shoot. (Not going to happen actually, since no one in my family seems excited about getting up at 3:30 am to get on the water before sunrise. )

I really like this site because of the reeds in the background and the yellow flowers.

D500 600VR f/7.1 1/1000s, ISO 500. Shot from the bottom of my little, bobbing boat!

Post: Cropped for comp, removed a few water spots, selective sharpening. Actually toned down the yellow flower sig. compared with original. I have room above and below from this crop. Originally had more of the reeds showing above, but I felt they overpowered the bird visually.
    Toned down the whites on the breast. They weren't blown, but wanted a bit more of the texture to show. I lost a bit of that in the conversion from pro RGB to sRGB

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 03-03-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Excellent artistic image Randy, like the detail and sharpness w the loon and then the melty BG. I was all set to offer copiloting help until you said, "not going to happen!" if you change your mind... Fabulous Picasso...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this image Randy.
    Your usual nice low POV.
    I am not sure about the yellow flower. It really pulls my eye away.
    I would tone the yellow in the flower down.
    Good IQ and nice HA,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one. Beautiful light and Background. IQ is high and the green blue water makes the black and white feathers pop. Agree that the yellow flower is a bit distracting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your input! Although I love the flowers in this location, and do like to include them when possible, I tried a version with it toned down to the level of the general background, and it does tend to keep our eye on the bird. I also did a version where I moved the flowers to the left side of the frame further, which was less distracting, but settled on the version below.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot better. A+
    gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous, painterly image. Repost helps. In addition to the Monet-like BG, I love the blue highlights in the water. And of course the Loon. Beautifully captured. From my limited experiences in kayaks and canoes in a moderate breeze, I can't imagine how you can keep the boat aligned and the bird in the frame in a stiff breeze; but the breeze certainly did wonders for the lovely water and BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost it looking real good. Fabulous POV and BG. Lovely detail and HA. Good work Randy.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Once I started I could not stop ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Thanks for taking the time to work on my image.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Artie:

Thanks for taking the time to work on my image.

Cheers

Randy
    Mon pleasir. I should have mentioned: mostly Patch Tool and Content Aware Fill.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.