Thread: Northern Pintail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Pintail

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1 DX 600mm Cloudy Day.
    F 5.6 ISO 1600 SS 1/3200 (I was waiting for a flight take-off shot)
    Did a fair bit of tidying up in the BG reeds in PP. There was a horizontal grass behind the pintail that I cloned out and a grass in the water.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderfull wingflap, Gail. This was the perfect moment where every part of the Pintail, even the virtual feet, is displayed elegantly. Love the warm tones and low POV.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Gail! The colors all work together perfectly. I like the IQ, pose, composition and iridescence in the head shows nicely. If I had to be picky I would clone out the bright spot on the outer band of the ripple in front of the Pintsil.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Gail, I really like the colors here and exposure looks good. I love that touch of pink. I didnt notice it at first, but after reading Jim's comment I agree with cloning out that one ripple. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely , terrific processing work. I like the unique wing pose and that pintail heading NW! yes on the white spot to remove... the head w the colors are fab, you go girl! mighty nice indeed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail,
    Terrific pose and so well captured! Love the details and setting of this shot.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose with the cocked tail and perfect head angle. The habitat in the background and all with a beautiful color palette. The details on the wings look great. But I think the exposure is spot on for the rest of the bird. The blacks of the tail look a bit blocked to me, the pale yellow area on the flanks looks a little hot and don't show any detail, same goes for the whites on the neck. Being super picky I do wish the wings were a little more extended and not touching the face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorite ducks and you did a nice job capturing the wing flap. The techs look perfect and so are the details. The only thing I wish for was the left-wing was further back and not intersecting the head but otherwise well done as usual.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac,
    You always keep me on my toes! I agree the whites are hot. I have had this issue with my last 2 images I posted. When I downsize the TIFF to a JPEG at 1600 pixels for BPN, the whites get hot. Not sure what is going on- must figure it out. The TIFF does not have any blown out whites. Curiouser and curiouser...
    gail

gail
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I like the pose with the cocked tail and perfect head angle. The habitat in the background and all with a beautiful color palette. The details on the wings look great. But I think the exposure is spot on for the rest of the bird. The blacks of the tail look a bit blocked to me, the pale yellow area on the flanks looks a little hot and don't show any detail, same goes for the whites on the neck. Being super picky I do wish the wings were a little more extended and not touching the face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

So I went back to the drawing board with this image and backed off on my sharpening and decreased the highlight slider in DPP more aggressively. (was at -1 but I moved it to -4)
    I also included the image before cloning. I always have the guilts when I clone a lot in an image and do not show the "before" and "after".
    Last edited by gail bisson; 03-02-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific pose and light on the Pintail. Good feather detail, tack sharp, background compliments. Repost improves. They are one of the most shy ducks ( for me at least ) to capture. Well done.