Thread: Willet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Willet

Attached Images Attached Images

This is from an attempted photo session in perfect golden sunset light that happened to be a total bust, but for this one winter-plumage willet standing in the shallows. I returned with about a thousand insect bites and this one shot. AI servo AF in four-point surround caught the spot light spot about an inch right under the bird's eye.

7D mkII
    500mm f/4 IS on tripod
    1/640 @ f/6.3, ISO 800

Thanks for reviewing, as always,
    Jake
    Last edited by Jake Levin; 02-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have had many photo sessions that were a bust, so I feel your pain. It just makes the good sessions even sweeter.
    I like the POV and the IQ and head turn.
    the golden light is great but I find myself wondering if you should tone the yellows down a bit (in the whites). Just go to selective coloring, choose whites and decrease the yellows.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have a fine Willet photo here. I would not be disappointed with this. Beautiful light and nice calm water with just a hint of ripples to add some interest. I agree with Gail re the yellow. When shooting in perfect golden light the camera will always over saturate the birds and you have to tone that down a touch in post. I do think the whole bird is a bit yellow. So you could also go into hue/saturation and choose the yellow channel and lower the saturation of only that channel as well if adjusting the yellow in selective color doesn't work. Or you could also adjust the yellow in the yellows in selective color as well. I would also increase the brightness a little. Easy fixes for this one Jake.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the comments below but an overall pleasing image. The wonderful light and calm water make it special. I would remove the specs on the water around the legs.