Thread: Sea Lion Portrait fv

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sea Lion Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Folks,
    Sorry for my absence here on the forum. Was traveling. I had a medical conference in San Diego CA, where I took to opportunity to check out the seals & sea lions at La Jolla Cove.
    Drove there & got an hour of shoot. Here is one from La Jolla. My first ever experience with these amazing creatures.
    7D II
    100-400 II
    1/800
    f/6.3
    ISO 800

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots to like here, Sanjeev and glad you have been able to get some new opportunities. Nothing I would change here tonally and colour-wise and the detail is up to your usual high standard. I might be tempted to take a little off the right of the frame for composition, but that's my only suggestion.

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- Just by looking at the thumbnail I thought Andreas is back and posting again . What a surprise to see a new variety from you . Nice pose, and from where i see , i think a vertical in the field would have been a better option. Also i feel the contrast is quite strong and image looks a bit dark. I would go for another round of sharpening . Lets see what others have to say . TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I'm glad you got a chance to explore and shoot a little while at the conference. This is a simple but effective portrait. I'm ok with the comp and the light looks nice. I would be careful on the contrast, the blacks of the eye and surrounds are on the border of choking and the whites along the top of the frame are bit bright. Another round of sharpening does look better.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

When I saw the thumbnail I thought for a moment this was Andreas's image, LOL. Lovely, well composed and I like the "attitude" from this Sea Lion. Colours look good to me, nice detail on the muzzle and whiskers. Agree with Haseeb and Rachel on a bit more sharpening. Glad you managed to spend some time with the seals and sea lions and added new species to an already rich portfolio. Please share more if you have, and tell us a bit about your experience with those lovely creatures

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea